NoisII or else.

Hi,

Simple question.

Can I put a NiosII on an FPGA alone, no ROM no DRAM no SRAM no nothing, Just the FPGA ?

(examples and kits put me on the opposite extreme)

I understand that I would have little ram space etc... so programs will be small... etc etc... I just wonder if it is feasible and how to load all from the config device.

--
OR

is there anything else more appropriate to place inside
an FPGA easy to put working alone. (micro controller I mean).

Luis C.
Reply to
LC

LC pisze:

Hi,

Yes, you can work with internal ram only. Yes you can store program in configuration memory used for FPGA.

I tested.

Adam

Reply to
Górski Adam

Excellent,

Would it be possible to have a bit more details on how to, just to ease my learning curve. Thanks.

Luis C.

Górski Adam wrote:

Reply to
LC

Or you can store the program in internal RAM (functioning as ROM) too for a fully self-contained system. To make this easier, there is a mechanism to update the RAM initialization contents without needing to do a full re-synthesis and PAR each time.

If you use SOPC Builder it is trivial to set this up.

Reply to
David Spencer

- Just run SOPC Builder

- make a system with nios ii , internall ram and for example port i/o.

- generate system

- put generated system into top schematic

- build fpga image

- load to fpga

- run Nios ide

- and have some fun

That's all

Adam

Reply to
Górski Adam

Tks Adam. I started to play with it... looks indeed not too difficult.

lc.

Górski Adam wrote:

Reply to
LC

Tks. David. What is the trick to get the program uploaded to RAM and run it without re-synthesis ? Is that within the NIOS ide ? Or should I go back to quartus for some operation ? That is certainly the way to go while testing and debugging the code.

Thanks. Luis c.

David Spencer wrote:

Reply to
LC

Hi Luis,

1 ) You can run " Processing -> Update memory initialization file " and then "Processing -> Start Assembler" to update fpga image file with lastest NIOS code.

2) You can use also EPCS controller module (SOPC Builder ) This is a little bit more complex. Just set start vector of your nios procesor to EPCS controller and build all again.

And finally use from Nios IDE "tools->Flash Programmer .." to program both *.sof and *.elf file

Adam

Reply to
Górski Adam

Many thanks for the very helpful guidelines.

Luis C.

Górski Adam wrote:

Reply to
LC