no ram core simulation with free Ise ?

wich kind of simulator should i download or purchase for include in simulation the ram genarated with core generator?thanks

Reply to
blisca

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the free ModelSim XE will simulate core-generated RAM if you have all the correct (and free) libraries installed. I am using the free versions of all the ISE stuff including ModelSim XE and have successfully simulated designs with core-generated RAM. Check on the Xilinx site for the correct versions of the simulation libraries and you should be OK.

Joey

blisca wrote:

Reply to
Joseph

thank you, joey ,now i have some hope!

Reply to
blisca

The xilinxcorelib is located in $XILINX/verilog/src/XilinxCoreLib/, assuming you are using verilog. There is a corresponding VHDL version available.

I am not really familiar with how things are done in verilog. Hopefully someone will mention if there is a better way. The one time I used it, I created a compilation file, pmc_tb.f, that contained all the sources, that looked like:

+licq_all+ +access+r

../tb/bd_top.v ../tb/bd_test.v ../tb/dumb_targ64.v ../source/pcim_top.v ../source/cfg_pmc.v

+libext+.vmd+.v

-y $XILINX/verilog/src/unisims

-y $XILINX/verilog/src/simprims

Then I compiled with the statement "vlog -f pmc_tb.f". That can be included in a modelsim "do file".

To start out with, notice that the modelsim.ini file is divided into sections, each with a header enclosed in brackets []. The first section, with that verilog line, is included in the [Library] section. As far as I know, the library section is only used by VHDL code, though I am not sure what that verilog line is used for. VHDL has a concept of libraries that seems to be different from Verilog. I am mainly familiar with VHDL.

The Xilinx software was originally written for and only available on Unix machines, where a forward slash is used as a path separator. The double dots mean the same as on Windows; that is, move up one level in the directory structure.

It is fairly obvious to those who have used the Xilinx software for many years that the core tools have a lot of common code between the Windows and Unix/Linux versions, and the GUIs are mainly wrappers around these core tools. This has the added advantage that you really don't need to use the GUIs if you don't want. All the processing can be done at the command line, or with batch files, or makefiles, or any other way desired.

Reply to
Duane Clark

I.e . failed to access library 'xilinxcorelib' at "xilinxcorelib"

i ask,where is the path used for searching?in modelsim.ini?

what does it means this sintax?

verilog = $MODELTECH/../verilog

what are the dots about?and why slash is used?normally a path is indicated using backslashes

thank you

Reply to
blisca

Read the Modelsim manual.

MODELTECH is an environment variable. It usually points to the directory containing the Modelsim binaries.

.. = up one directory, because the libraries will usually be in a directory parallel to the binary files, not in a subdirectory.

No, that's just Windows. The rest of the world uses forward-slashes for path separators. Modelsim was originally a UNIX app and as such uses UNIX conventions all over the place.

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

Are you using Verilog or VHDL?

Reply to
Duane Clark

indicated

Reply to
blisca

sadly vcom is not able to find xilinxcorelib in modelsim xe workspace i can read in the second row vhdl library C:/xilinx... and so on ,the path where the xilinxcore lib really is

it is honest to suppose tha the vcon compilator will search for the library exactly and only here?

if i click on the "+" symbol to expand it i can see a tree of entities (a blue "E" in a white square)starting with

addr_gen_v3

iis it correct?thank you again

i hope this could be usefule for other newbies

Reply to
blisca

Then in the [Library] section, you need a line like: xilinxcorelib = $XILINX/vhdl/src/XilinxCoreLib/work

But before that will work, you need to actually compile the xilinxcorelib sources. There is a tool/script for that somewhere, included with the Xilinx tools. I haven't used the Xilinx supplied tool for compiling it, though. I do it manually, by creating a work directory: vlib work and then compiling the source: vcom prims_constants_v4_0.vhd vcom c_dist_mem_v5_0_comp.vhd vcom blkmemdp_pkg_v4_0.vhd vcom blkmemdp_v4_0_comp.vhd ...etc

But for someone doing it the first time, you should probably find and use the tool. Go to the xilinx website, and type xilinxcorelib into the search box, and for me, the second link shows how to compile those libraries.

Reply to
Duane Clark

i'm using vhdl

Reply to
blisca

I would like that some people that i know,that is still thinking that internet it is just a waste of time could read the answers and the effort done for helping me in this newsgroup. Thank you again good people!

Diego

directory

path

Reply to