NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10

I'm trying to follow the NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10.
At one point, page 16 of the 'tt_nios_hw_stratix_1s10.pdf'
I should start the SOPC builder. A quick console window opens,
to fast to recognize anything, and vanishes.
There is no error message, nowhere.
There is no SOPCBuilder as it should be according to the pdf.
I browswed the SOPC Builder solutions in the knowledge base.

 From this FAQ I could gleam that the SOPC builder has to
be installed. How can I check whether it was installed, and if
not, where is this SOPC Builder to be found ?

I'm using Quartus2 Build 176 02/04/2003 SJ Full Version
plus the SP1

Rene

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10

It appears that you have a problem with your installation.

Not even in the message window? View->Utility Windows->Messages if you
don't have it visible.

There should be a directory containing a bin directory which contains
a file called sopc_builder (which is a perl script). I don't know how
Quartus will search for sopc_builder because both under Windows and
Solaris I have multiple revisions of sopc builder and Quartus is using
the most recent one.

You should have received a CD containing the NIOS 3.0 release with
SOPC Builder (version 2.8) and Quartus II.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Run "regedit32" from Start menu/Run.

Look for the Software/Altera/SOPC Builder branch. This will tell you
all of the currently installed versions of SOPC Builder, and also
which one is currently active.

I hope I got the branch right .. I don't have my work PC in front of
me at the moment.

One other thing: Do you also have a separate Cygwin installed? This
can seriously screw things up. I've done this and got the symptoms you
have, and it took awhile to debug.

HTH,

-- Pete

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10

HKCU\Software\Altera Corporation\Quartus II.2   has no SOPC section
HKLM\Software\Altera Corporation\SOPC Builder     contains

   SOPC_Builder_Home REG_SZ: c:\altera\excalibur\SOPC_builder

which is right.

Cygwin ?

HKCU\software\cygnus solutions\cygwin
  is mainly empty

HKLM\software\cygnus solutions\cygwin
  includes a pointer the Altera directory tree

HKLM\System\controlset001\control\session manager\environment
HKLM\System\controlset002\control\session manager\environment
HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\environment
  have a path including the altera cygwin

HKU\..whatever.. \software\cygnus solutions\cygwin
  is mainly empty

A file/directory search for cygwin turns up a few more cygwin.dll.
Since I don't need them anymore, I remove them. Nothing changes.
Hmm.

Thanks for the input anyway

Rene

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10
Rene, please use mysupport.altera.com or the hotline. I have also forwarded
this to the relevant group inside Altera.

- Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10
Ah, yes, thanks.
I actually did that at the same time as I
posted here.
There it is running under user firstname/secondname = A/A.
The N-th re-log-on is shorter than the first.

Rene

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10

Thanks this far for the messages.

The SOPC builder appears to be correctly installed.
There is no java running, at least it was not detectable.
The is no other cygwin either.

 From the taskmanager it appears the perl.exe is somehow failing.
It comes upon the SOPC button and goes right away.

Rene

Re: NIOS tutorial for the Stratix1S10
Hi,
As I did have some strange experiences with SOPC_BUILDER that look like
a problem you actually have.
My first mistake was to place the SOPC_BUILDER at some place where it
would have make sence. Don't do that. Keep the suggested directory.
Second mistake was, I uninstalled the SOPC_BUILDER and reinstalled it to
different directories... There ist somewhere a file where the path to
SOPC_BUILDER must be set correctly. Unfortunatly I don't rember which
file it was.
Third mistake, Cygwin was not installed. There is an cygwin enviroment
delivered with SOPC_BUILDER but it did not work for some reason on my
computer.
Fourth mistake, I did not install the perl program delivered with
cygwin. The one delivered with SOPC_BUILDER was not working.
Fifth mistake, when installing cygwin, always select that your files are
in DOS LF mode. Otherwise you'll get compilation errors... I did get
them anyway but that's a different story.
Last hint, make sure your enviroment variables are all correctly set.

Good luck,
Karsten

Site Timeline