Nios speed down

I've just moved from Quartus 4.0 to 5.0, re-generated a Nios design under SoPC Builder, and run the design through Quartus.

The timing has gone from almost 90Mhz before to 72Mhz now.

Anyone experienced similar speed-downs?

Alan

Reply to
amyler

Hi Alan,

By any chance, did you set an aggressive timing constraint? If not, then Quartus (as of some version between 4.0 and 4.2 -- I forget which) will automatically stop working hard on timing once it sees that your design (a) meets timing and (b) will likely be able to route. This saves you compile time, but also means that push-button compilation without a tight constraint may show a slowdown.

If this is not the issue, please provide some more information, such as what Nios options you selected and what device you are targeting.

Thanks,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis (at home)