NIOS speed

I would like to evaluate the true performance of the various CPU cores available for FPGAs and I found that the "economy" version of the NIOS core uses a minimum of 6 clock cycles to complete an instruction! I guess they use the same division of logic and registers for all their cores, but change how they run in parallel. In fact, the smallest "economy" version runs at highest clock rate. But if you divide that by 6 to be an instruction rate, you only get about 33 MHz "true" performance. I guess that is why the DMIPS is only 31 vs. 218 for the "performance" version.

How are DMIPS measured for a core? Is this done by measuring a benchmark program?

It can be hard to collect all the necessary data for comparing the various cores available. This is especially true for the open-source versions. There are quite a number of cores available at opencores.org, but most do not provide any real data on their capabilities.

Antti mentioned in a post that there are three NIOS clones and I found one MB clone at opencores.org. Where are the NIOS clones hiding and are there any other MB clones? Has anyone collected data on their speeds and sizes?

Reply to
rickman

DMIPS usually referes to Dhrystone MIPS. Where Dhrystone is a very old and broken benchmark program.

You can read why it is broken here:

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

The OpenFire is an open source (MIT license) MB clone available from here:

It has several serious limitations that I have yet to address, including the lack of a usable interface other than FSL. And that is why it isn't yet available on OpenCores.

However, it achieves 58 DMIPs at 100 MHz using somewhere between 500 and 600 slices, IIRC, on a 2VP-6.

An aging but good comparison of the MB, Leon, and OpenRISC soft cores can be found here:

stephen.craven

FSL = Fast Simplex Link? Is this a xilinx proprietary interface? I'm trying to understand why it can't be on opencores.

Openfire, is related to 68000 or the coldfire?

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

Sorry, it's a verilog microblaze clone. I'm still struggling with vhdl, don't want to mess with verilog yet, but that's just me.

-Dave