nios-run ignores kbd.

Hi, I'm having problems getting nios-run -t to function correctly. The development platform is Quartus 3 sp2, SOPC 3.02 on Linux, Apex board.

I'm using the standard_32 example provided with the Nios kit 3.2. This builds (SDK and the hardware) without apparent problem, synthesises and can be downloaded via the jtag interface.

executing nios-run -t results in the peripherals test menu being displayed but no response to keyboard input occurs, except ^C which occasionally requires repeating to get the program to quit. Running strace shows repeated calls to query the keyboard via select(), but only the ^c is picked up on.

Running minicom permits access to germs: and to the peripheral tests, albeit with a 'staircase' problem on the output from the peripherals test, but at least I have 2 way communication which implies that the problem lies with nios-run.

Running nios-run -p with a download file results in it waiting indefinitely for the board to respond, both with the factory default and the jtag downloaded file.

Has anybody had similar problems? A search through the archives didn't find anything, hence the post.

AFAIUS, I need to use nios-run to reprogram the onboard flash or is there an alternative.

thanks in advance, nigelg.

-- Nigel Gunton Office: +44/0 117 32 83167 /"\ CEMS, UWE, Bristol, BS16 1QY. \ / X ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML email & microsoft attachments / \

Reply to
Nigel Gunton CEMS STAFF

In both cases it sounds like you are missing carriage returns or line feeds. The staircase pattern is an classic example. You may need to set minicom to append carriage returns to incoming line feeds, to echo typed characters, or to send carriage returns with line feeds. Once you are sure both CR & LF is part of every line, it should be clear when you need them and when you don't.

Nigel Gunt> Hi,

Reply to
tns1

thanks but ...

I'm not too bothered by the missing CR with minicom, I was just ensuring that the GERMS: monitor was running. The issue that I am trying to resolve is that nios-run -t accepts the initial output from GERMS: and the peripheral test program, displays the menu on the terminal and then ignores all keyboard input from the host, regardless of trying various settings for lf/cr on the tty output.

This led me to suspect that there was a problem with nios-run communicating.

thanks anyway,

nigelg

-- Nigel Gunton School of Electrical & Computer Engineering CEMS, UWE, Bristol, BS16 1QY, UK.

Reply to
Nigel Gunton CEMS STAFF

OK, so are you sure the baud rates and COM port assignments are correct? The USB/RS232 cables have an annoying habit of shutting off, or getting different port assignments each time. If you are sure all is in order, then strip down you app to isolate the problem behavior.

I have not used that specific example, but I have seen some pretty strange terminal related problems whenever I forgot to Generate the new SW support files before compiling. Are you sure Nios 3.2 will work with the older Quartus? The lastest Nios tools are Nios3.2, QII4SP1, and SOPC4. Better yet, the NiosII IDE is available.

Nigel Gunt> >

Reply to
tns1