NIOS II power-on reset

Dear everybody,

I have a problem on some production boards based on the Altera Cyclone FPGA. The boards have installed NIOS II CPU. The problem regards the power-on sequence because some boards are not able to power-up correctly (seems NIOS II CPU doesn't execute first operative code).

The development was made on a C7 speed grade FPGA and I didn't experience such problem. The boards where the problems were detected have installed the C8 speed grade Cyclone.

The power-on and reset circuitry comes from Altera's Cyclone development board. I think the problem is around the FPGA speed grade, but I was not able to find the reason. My system works at 64 MHz which is a well supported frequency by the C8 speed grade device.

Did you experience my same problem ? Any tips to workaround the problem will be appreciated

Best Regards

/Alessandro

Reply to
Alessandro Strazzero

Hi,

Maybe a excessive power-on current?

Dan.

Reply to
Dan NITA

Checkout the voltage waveform as power is applied. You may find that a current surge (in the fpga) that takes place as the voltage ramps up makes this non-monotonic. This may upset various components on the board, if not the fpga itself.

Regards

Jon

FPGA.

NIOS II