NIOS II & CS8900?

I've made a board with CS8900 for proto of NIOS Development kit board. It works very strange, I read internal registers and sometimes they was read correctly but in generaly incorrectly. Writing is correctly as seem to me. I'm using core of SOPC. Maybe someone gives me some advise. Thx.

Reply to
vladimir

The CS8900 is a rather slow chip. I am running several applications at 60MHz at which the chip does not operate well. Edit the class.ptf file and increase the wait states and setup/hold times. Then add the component and recompile.

SYSTEM_BUILDER_INFO

{

Bus_Type = "avalon_tristate";

Uses_Tri_State_Data_Bus = "1";

Address_Alignment = "native";

Address_Width = "3";

Data_Width = "16";

Has_IRQ = "1";

Read_Wait_States = "5"; ******* increase ?

Write_Wait_States = "5"; ******* increase ?

Setup_Time = "1"; ******* increase ?

Hold_Time = "1"; ******* increase ?

Is_Memory_Device = "0";

Date_Modified = "2001.10.9.10:51:51";

IRQ_Number = "--unknown--";

Base_Address = "--unknown--";

Tri_State_Data_Bus = "--unknown--";

}

Victor Schutte

Victor Schutte

In addition to Victor's advice:

If you are using a modern (Quartus II 4.1 or later) version of our tools, SOPC Builder has the capability to dynamically calculate peripheral latency/wait states/tsu/th. Instead of specifying an integer as below ("5" for example), specify an integer with unit time (for example "50ns"). SOPC Builder will interpret the time in nanoseconds and calculate the number of clocks based on your desried system clock frequency... that way you can read timing parameters out of the data sheet and apply them to your peripheral.

About the problem Vladamir is seeing: It is difficult to say without more information about your system. Victor's timing advice is an excellent place to start. After ensuring that timing requirements are met and that signal integrity on your board is okay (FPGA IO to CS8900). I think the next step would be to do basic register tests as you seem to be performing, either with a C program or the legacy GERMS monitor... if the above doesn't work it is time to get out a scope and see how the signals Nios is presenting to the external device look.

A side note: I am submitting a bug report to request that we update the cs8900 component's timing to use the above convention, even though we are no longer shipping with it in the product.

Jesse Kempa Altera Corp. jkempa at altera dot com

Reply to
Jesse Kempa