Newbie : Xilinx Ml310 platform

Hi is it possible to connect any secondary board to ml310 through its expansion slots.If so which cable I have to use and where can I get it.

I want to connect USB and Firewire i/o ports to main PPC through its gpio pins directly not through pci slots (which are available on ml310 already) as I need to analyze the processor and peripheral interaction.

Does anyone had an idea which simple board is available in market , I dont mind if the secondary board doesnt have an USB and firewire PHY ...I can put some load on ports through simulators. so any `simple board with FPGA`s on it will meet my requirement.

software: any idea where can I get firewire IP core for cheap.finaly I want to run linux over the system (ml310 and secondary board).

kindly suggest me if anyone has experienced similar before....

Hmmm.. hope my questions are not silly as my experience with hardware design is not much.

thanks a lot..

sudheer

Reply to
sudheer

not that I like to kill the joy but:

1) Fireware - NO IP Core (free or cheap) available, opencores project dead and remains dead 2) ML310 possible no boards exist (that suite your wishes) that connect to the personality slots 3) USB testing with 2 FPGA boards - doesnt really make sense anyway, if you are into anything serious you need to have the PHYs and work with real USB devices

sorry, maybe I did not understand your goals, Antti

"sudheer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@webx.sUNCHnE...

expansion slots.If so which cable I have to use and where can I get it.

pins directly not through pci slots (which are available on ml310 already) as I need to analyze the processor and peripheral interaction.

mind if the secondary board doesnt have an USB and firewire PHY ...I can put some load on ports through simulators. so any `simple board with FPGA`s on it will meet my requirement.

want to run linux over the system (ml310 and secondary board).

design is not much.

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti, Nearly 30-40% of the on chip real estate is spent on peripherals, which are hetrogenous in nature and have almost been neglected from a research perspective.

my fun is I need to set up harware such that high speed i/o ports like USB, Firewire, gigabyte ethernet etc connected and put some load (eg : video file transfer) make all ports busy like video camera connected to firewire port, through usb port I need to connect one hard disk and store it, and through ethernet transfer this video file to clients.

so in such scenario I want to profile or estimate on chip processor and peripherals interaction...for example i want to observe the usb port alone....during single file transer how many instrucions are executed by processor..

so for this above fun if I use pci slots for firewire and gigabyte ethernet ..it would be difficult to profile the i/o ports as all o f them were connected to pci bus-bridge watever..when I profile at on-chip i which load is from which port.

so for the above task I need to connect an external board which has USB, gigabyte ethernet and firewire ports(PHY) to ML310 board through its expansion slots such that they have an direct interaction to main core.

I dont want to the ports on ml310 as they are connected through PCI bus.

hope now you got an better idea...

thanks...

Reply to
sudheer

What sort of monitoring do you want to do?

Why not watch the PCI bus inside the FPGA? Each device will respond to a range of addresses when the CPU talks to it. You can probably figure out which device is generating DMA requests from the request/grant signals.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

Hi Murray thanks for your response, though your suggestion is interesting but my intention is different...it follows

  1. I want to profile and optimize the on-chip system not the board -level. 2. One would suspect the PCI protocol to be different from on-chip protocols. 3. Furthermore, I prefer to modify the IP modules itself in later to optimze them.

more or less I can achieve better optimzation in future.

thats why I want to have High speed ports(USB 2.0, Firewire, Gigabyte ethernet) personlatiy modules. I know as such it is not available anywhere thats why am planning to build an extension board.

If any one has done atleast part of similar work...your suggestions are admired.

thanks

Reply to
sudheer