Newbie, Altera vs Xilinx

Hi! I'm completely new to FPGAs and now I want to buy an eva-board to learn about them. What is the right device to start with? How many cells are suggestive? Perhaps you can give some application examples and the cells needed? What do you think about this one?

Or perhaps better Alteras Cyclone series? Thanks for any comments!

Andreas

Reply to
Andreas

The Spartan 3 Dev Kit is very good and I seem to be able to get all the answers that I need (and I generate a lot of questions) from this FPGA user group, the reps at Memec Insight, the engineers at Xilinx (yes, they actually pick up the phone) and the volumous application notes on the Xilinx web site.

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Burched has an interesting product line

Their products let you build a system to meet your needs.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Simmons