New Xilinx forum.

More would be nice. The Xilinx website ain't the most user friendly and fastest website. In fact, I try to avoid it if possible.

Okay, it is not so bad as NXP's website (which is about the worst possible website). 'Let's make things better' didn't happen and 'sense and simplicity'... well they should get a dictionary...

And what makes you so sure the competition is not reading Xilinx's own forum? I bet the people from Altera and Lattice (to name some in alphabetical order) already have their logins.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

In news: snipped-for-privacy@x40g2000prg.googlegroups.com timestamped Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:33:23 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted: |----------------------------------------------------------------------------| |"[..] | | | |There is a great deal of functionality that a modern web based forum | |can provide that leaves usenet in the dust anyways. For example, being | |able to freely host design files showing an example, screen shot of a | |problem, etc.; things usenet will ultimately die off to. [..] | | | |Jesse Kempa | |Altera" | |----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

It is possible to attach screenshots to newsgroup posts.

Regards, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

Freudian slip there on the type of forum that the Xilinx employees need permission for.....but a funny one none the less.

It's probably best left to the lawyers, but I don't think Xilinx ownership of the forum which they then invite non-Xilinx employees to join would constitute a 'non-public forum' without those non-X people signing a non-disclosure agreement. Bottom line is that I think the X forum is still most likely a 'public forum' and the X employees probably should still treat it as such from the standpoint of possible dismissal from the company.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

However, non-text attachments are filtered from usenet exchanges. An http reference to a graphics file works because it is a text pointer.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I have posted several thousand times in this newsgroup; I have never asked Xilinx management or lawyers for permission; I have never been reprimanded either.

It all boils down to having a sense of responsibility plus some common sense. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". - (The Bard, Henry VI, Act IV, Scene II). Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

KJ,

The Xilinx Forum is a different animal: there are procedures, and people specifically tasked with monitoring it, editing it, and in fact "controlling" it.

If my job description states I am required to maintain and post on a forum, then I expect I am trained in the policies, and am then able to do my job.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Not true. I wasn't asked... :-(

ken

Reply to
Ken Ryan

|----------------------------------------------------------| |"Colin Paul Gloster wrote: | | | |> It is possible to attach screenshots to newsgroup posts.| | | |However, non-text attachments are filtered | |from usenet exchanges. An http reference to | |a graphics file works because it is a text | |pointer." | |----------------------------------------------------------|

Perhaps some do, but it can be possible to propagate attachments to some news servers. E.g. some of the attachment for news: snipped-for-privacy@docenti.ing.unipi.it which I posted was available from another newsserver (e.g.

).

Regards, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

Austin,

please try todo something, so that "attempts" do not remain as "attempt" but lead somewhere too.

Xilinx webpage reads that from 13th of august the messages from old forums can be moved to the new forums.

This is not the case, I just posted on Xilinx old forums, and was not able to move the topic to the new forum.

So the 13th August thing, (an attempt to impove service ?) - is at least delaying, or so it looks from the public web presence.

It makes no sense to announce that something will happen on 13th, and then not do this this on the date promised.

To me it seems like the attempt to launch the new forums on 13th have failed.

Or maybe they are super secret ones?

Antti Lukats

Reply to
Antti

Maybe it's that Aug 13th has not really started for real in PST yet and the change will happen by the end of monday California time?

Reply to
mk

Text ausblenden -

yes, there are a few hours left, lets see and wait up

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Help, where is the new xilinx forum ?

David

Reply to
David Binnie

that what I wanna know too ;)

I assume some secret info about it was sent to selected people's emails. as far as I can see there is no info beyond what was in those bulk- emails

hm... and today is 13th and help what time is it in Hawaii? ..it still belongs to the US?

ok, let the westcoast to wake up, maybe it all clears up when xilinx webmaster arrives at his work place

Antti

Reply to
Antti

In the west coast time zone (PDT) many of us are barely awake on this Monday morning, much less at work being productive. If there are about

17 calendar days to move threads between forums, give it a day. It's a new week.

Honestly, I'm surprised your so eager!

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

well, should they get started at least ?

oh, ok let the webmaster to wake up and get productive.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

well, I found it ;) assume it will be found by the others too soon

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti,

I suppose 8 AM PDT is the magic time ...

Aust> >> Help, where is the new xilinx forum ?

Reply to
austin

Ok, I'm signed up and I've used it. I have one suggestion but don't know where to post it. Maybe you could forward it?

Please add a way to see all new postings, regardless of which subgroup they where in. Most likely anyone interested in this web forum would be interested in more than just one subsection, but they way it's implemented right now you have to manually visit each one to see new postings.

In fact as web forums go, this one is fairly basic, maybe too basic.

Regards Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn

The new xilinx forum now has a recent threads link. IMHO this makes the forum much more useful for contributors...

Gabor