New to FPGA, seeking advice - Page 2

Re: New to FPGA, seeking advice

But thats exactly what an FPGA is only the latch data that control the
cross switches are in your bit file.

For the particular crossbar mentioned, the whole device would have to
be fully or partially reprogrammed on the fly. if the lines stay
connected for long enough, the difficulty of reconfiguring is
justifed. If this RC approach hadn't been available ie fused/eeprom
FPGA etc, then the density & speed would be orders lowers. Probably
the single sneakiest best use of RC I heard of so far.

JJ

Re: New to FPGA, seeking advice

But thats exactly what an FPGA is only the latch data that control the
cross switches are in your bit file.

For the particular crossbar mentioned, the whole device would have to
be fully or partially reprogrammed on the fly. if the lines stay
connected for long enough, the difficulty of reconfiguring is
justifed. If this RC approach hadn't been available ie fused/eeprom
FPGA etc, then the density & speed would be orders lowers. Probably
the single sneakiest best use of RC I heard of so far.

JJ

Re: New to FPGA, seeking advice
Hi Brian,

Taking a step back from FPGAs, I would investigate specific programmable
cross-point switches that Lattice offers for this kind of funtionality.
Check out the ispGDX family from Lattice - you might be surprised!

http://www.latticesemi.com/products/digin/ispGDX/index.cfm

Anil