Need just a few 5V Spartan

Hello, all,

Does anyone know where I can get just a few (5 - 10) Xilinx XCS30-3TQ144C chips? Anybody who has them wants to sell me a minimum of a hundred or more. I just need a few to make repairs on equipment in the field. I just got a board back from a customer who had a lightning strike, and I had to salvage a chip off a test module to get his unit repaired.

If anyone has a few of these chips laying around, I'd be glad to pay the going rate for them, too! I can probably use other speed ranges or temp ranges as well. I'm in the US, but that shouldn't make much difference, I seem to be buying my Xilinx chips from Australia these days!

Thanks much in advance.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

This is again a case for the Xilinx "online shop"...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Reply to
Peter Alfke

For the 5 Volt Xilinx series, none of the part is on stock at Digi, and all have quite high minimum order

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

XCS30XL-4TQG144I (or C) are both in stock at Digikey but the -3 speed grades have the 60pc minimum order. Can you get by with the different speed grade?

Reply to
John_H

Digi-Key has NO stock of 5 V Spartan parts. They will gladly order some if I place an order for only 60 parts. That's a $2178 order! This is what I get from a number of "stocking" distributors. Digi-Key dropped the 5 V Spartan line about 2001, I think.

Somebody else mentioned the Xilinx store. They don't sell chips, period, as far as I can see. They have links to their franchised distributors, but there is no link at all for Spartan, or Spartan

2 or 2E. Only Spartan 3 and 3E.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Spartan XL is not the 5 V Spartan, it is 3.3 V, and not pin compatible with 5 V Spartan. These chips will not work without major changes to the board. I am doing that, but going to XCS2E. It is a complete from-scratch redesign.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Have you tried

? plenty of hits on a search for XC2S -is this the correct family?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Consider using XC3S...E. Why stick with XCS2E?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

My reasoning, at the time this redesign started was based partly on price, the I/O voltages supported, and the size of the ROM needed to download the FPGA. This product has no CPU or other ROM on board. I finally figured out how to use an SST serial flash memory that is incredibly cheap. 1 Mbit for $1.85, and it takes 2 little CMOS chips to get the ROM to start dumping its contents.

Maybe I made a mistake, but this product uses a pretty small FPGA by today's standards. I can get the XC2S50-something-TQ144C for $12, I know how to mount it to a board myself, etc. A number of the newer stuff is in packages I at least am not so sure I can handle.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

this the correct family?

No. The part is XCS30-3TQ144C, and findchips says - go to Digi-Key, where this thread started. I have no problem obtaining Spartan 2E, I need the original Spartan 5V chips. You have to be careful of these "web hits". I had another oddball part, a TI DAC chip that was on 50-week backorder. I did a web search, and outfits like USBid showed tens of thousands of parts in stock at their partner's warehouses. When I actually called them, they told me the ONLY parts available in the entire world were in a warehouse in Russia, and the guy wanted $60 a piece, minimum quantity 100 pieces! I had to take salvaged parts in that case. So, just because these outfits LIST a part on the web does not really mean they actually even have access to that part!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson wrote: ...

At digikey, a XC3S100E-4TQG144C costs 7.45EUR and is configurable by cheap SPI flash...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Way too small, if I interpret the # of blocks correctly. The XCS30 has 576 LUT cells, the XC3S100E has only 240. I don't think you can compare them exactly, but if I'm interpreting the numbers right, it means that what fits snugly in the XCS30 is far away from fitting in the XC3S100E.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

After checking the data sheet, I see the Spartan 3E CLB has a LOT more resources than the old Spartan. So, it looks like the 3S100E should, indeed, be big enough. And, it's appetite for config bits is not any worse than the 2S50E. So, I guess this choice is still open. The 3S100E is a bit cheaper than the 2S50E, and should stay available from convenient distributors for a while longer. So, I may have to re-think this. I'm pretty sure my scheme for loading the config from a SST serial flash memory would work as well with the 3S100E as on the 2S50E. I have to look into how well that will work on 2.5 V - it may not.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Maybe it presents different info to you, or you know to click something that brings up other pages. First, there is nothing on the "front" page about old Spartan devices, only for Spartan 3. Secondly, the chip links are just links to their distributors. I have already checked with ALL US franchised distributors, none have any stock of the part I need, all want large orders over US $2000. So, unless I am missing something in the online shop, it doesn't help. (If you meant Xilinx should make small quantities of obsolete products available through the online shop, then I wholeheartedly agree with that. But, it seems they may have made agreements with the distributors to not do that. I can understand why the distribs don't like that, but Maxim, TI, AD, etc. all do it anyway.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sorry,

next time I'll tag sarcasme.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

There are other threads on this. Xilinx _used_ to offer some on-line shopping, but the level of service took a dive, as the bean-counters held sway - so it is something of a sore point.... I don't think it is Disti pressure,(but you never know...) as most Disti's don't want to know about samples / small qty Maint orders. Couple that with lead free changes, shrinking shelf lives, and larger SPQs, most Distis try to avoid carrying ANY stock at all, of a "speculative" nature.

Welcome to the world of short life cycle parts...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Yes, I was really shocked when I called one of the on-line warehousers of hard to get parts and he told me that although his web site lists something like

30,000 of one part available from a raft of different locations, none of them actually exist! (That wasn't actually a Xilinx part, but TI. But, if their policies are such, then they probably apply across the board.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

item 150055912098 on ebay?, XCS30-3TQ144C, buy now price US $6.85

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks very much for spotting this! I've been checking eBay every once in a while for a year, and NEVER saw any Spartan parts. Now, there are several. I'm checking with the seller to see if I can get less quantity than the whole lot of 220 pieces.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson