Need Information about Implementing of Modbus protocol in fpga ( mostly spartan 6)

Hello folks,

        I wanted to implement Modbus protocol on fpga. I don't know how to
start? I read various documents on internet but didn't got any clear idea.
basically my aim is to make package of this protocol. I am using Vhdl as la
nguage. so i want process or say steps should i follow to make this protoco
l working.If anybody has worked on this previously can share document it wi
ll be great help.
 thanks in advance..!!

Re: Need Information about Implementing of Modbus protocol in fpga ( mostly spartan 6)

There are basically two ways to do Modbus.  One is Modbus RTU, using a
UART with RS-485.  On the hardware side you need a UART with a transmit
enable control line.  Everything else is in software.

The other is Modbus TCP/IP over Ethernet.  On the hardware side, you
need Ethernet.  Everything else is in software.

So "Modbus on an FPGA" means having a processor (soft or hard) and
software on the FPGA or the board, and a UART or Ethernet.  Trying to
implement Modbus directly in FPGA hardware without a processor is insanity.

Re: Need Information about Implementing of Modbus protocol in fpga ( mostly spartan 6)

Thanks David for information. I just wanted to know that are you suggesting to use external processor for implementation.

and also i would like to know while writing vhdl program what steps should i follow.

Re: Need Information about Implementing of Modbus protocol in fpga ( mostly spartan 6)

I am suggesting you use a processor for handling the protocol.  It is
entirely up to you if this is external to the FPGA, a hard core in the
FPGA, or a soft core in the FPGA.

If you have to ask this, I would recommend that you drop the idea of an
FPGA altogether.  A $2 microcontroller will let you build a Modbus RTU
slave on RS-485 - it will have a UART and all the processing power you
need.  If you are thinking of Modbus over Ethernet, your microcontroller
will be around $5.

Site Timeline