Need help with generating video patterns using VHDL

Hi, I am currently working on generating digital video using an FPGA. I am using VHDL to generate color bars and other test signal patterns. I am having a problem with the color bar video. When I look at the vector diagram of this video using a digital video analyzer, I see that the color vectors are curved and not straight. My Fpga also gets a reference video signal as input and my output video is timed horizontally and vertically according to the reference. What could possibly be the reason for the curved vectors. Any idea as to how I can make it straight. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Methi

Reply to
methi

Since a "color vector" is defined by a single point and the origin in the digital video analyzer for a single color, is this the multiple vectors for a sweep?

I'm guessing here, but your color may be skewed on composite sweeps due to incorrect (absent?) gamma correction. Does your analyzer expect a certain gamma?

Reply to
John_H

This is the vector diagram for 75% colorbars.

Can you explain more about composite sweeps?

Thank you,

Methi

Reply to
methi

What I meant in my original message was that if you have a color gradient from dark to light in one color with multiple components, the translation of those components to and from YUV space (for your vector diagram) could result in a set of color vectors that "curve" from the center to the outside by not tracking the U and V channels proportionally. If you're dealing with a solid color bar, any "curving" you see of the vectors on the analyzer should be a byproduct of the analyzer (going from off to on and back in a pixel's width). If your color is 100% U or V, increasing or decreasing the Y should give you a straight vector. If your color is a combination of U and V, the curving as Y is increased or decreased would be because U and V aren't properly proportional.

Reply to
John_H

Hi John, My color is 75%.... And it is a combination of U and V.... I am working on trying to match these two values.....for every transition from one color to the other... On doing so, using the approximate values, I can see that the vectors have straightened abit. But this seems to take a whole lot of iterations to finally set it straight....

Reply to
methi