need help,test on Spartan3 starter kit

Hi, Please someone help me.

As a school project i am designing a Viterbi Decoder, now i have to test it on FPGA.

Please can you give me the guidelines or the pointers to how can i actually test the code.

Someone gave me a clue that using RS232 will help. But, i have no clue, how to transfer the data from my PC to FPGA and how to receive the output. In which format am i supposed to send the data, which data file? What all steps are needed?

Please if someone can guide me.

thanks and regards

Reply to
preet

preet schrieb:

FPGA.

test the code.

transfer the data from my PC to FPGA and how to receive the output. In which format am i supposed to send the data, which data file? What all steps are needed?

For such live test, I used the famous Picoblaze to make a local teminal controler inside the FPGA. Add the RS232 UART from xapp 233?? and you are done. Now just program the Picoblaze to receive data from RS232, feed the Viterbi decoder and send the output from the decoder back to the PC. This will need probably some block rams for data storage.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

FPGA.

test the code.

I test code by writing a testbench and running a simulation to stimulate inputs and verify outputs. This might take a long time, but trial and error synthesis on the bench will take longer.

transfer the data from my PC to FPGA and how to receive the output. In which format am i supposed to send the data, which data file? What all steps are needed?

Once the code is working in simulation, you need some way to stimulate inputs and verify outputs in hardware. The best way to do this depends on what devices are already connected to the fpga on your board. Using a terminal emulator program and a serial port is one way to interface to a PC

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

The code for Viterbi decoder that i have written, is not giving ERRORS during synthesis but is having like 100 warnings of some ports being disconnected.

Is that possible that ,this is possible reason why the outputs on hardware FPGA Spartan stater kit not working?

iMPACT is showing that the programming succeeded but the outputs are bad, nothing toggling. I used LEDS for O/Ps and switches for Inputs. But, i have Locked one switch for CLOCK on the kit itself and try to toggle the clock by hand.

Would this sort of clock giving work?? OR is this bad because of frequency mismatch and low frequency.

Please guide.

Reply to
Manpreet

Mike,

Thanks so much for giving me this info. But where to get picoblaze from?

Do you have a sample code, which explains how to actually program picoblaze to receive input from RS232. And how about connections between picoblaze and UART, how to do that.

Have you got the data, text file FORMAT, that we need to give on Hyperterminal to feed in the input?

Please give me pointers or links, or if you can explain more. I am novice in this, but need help.

thanks and regards Preet

Reply to
preet