Mutiple Quartus Instances?

Anyone know if there are any gotcha's with working with multiple Quartus (II v. 4) projects on the same computer?

I'd like to work several approaches simultaneously, but not if there are side effects - subtle or otherwise.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Land

I naver had any problem with multiple projects and Quartus under Linux and Solaris at least. However, I'm using mostly scripts in my flow, and minimal amount of GUI.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

(II

Hi Ken,

Based on the Quartus architecture you should not:

  1. Open the SAME project in multiple Quartus instances, i.e. each Quartus instance should work on a different project.

  1. Do not open a project from the UI and then run the command line compiler executables from a DOS prompt/command shell (quartus_map, quartus_fit, quartus_tan, quartus_asm ...) on the same project. Use the UI or the command line exclusively at any point in your design flow. You can switch between the two as needed.

  2. Don't open and/or close more than one instance of Quartus at exactly the SAME time. Basically, if one instance of Quartus is trying to close down, it is in the process of writing stuff to the registry. Then during that time, another instance of Quartus just starting up may be trying to read that data whcih may not be correct. Therefore if you initiate a closing of a Quartus instance let it close fully before you open another one.

Apart from these you are ready to go. Hope this helps.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

I've got several projects running in Quartus with no porblems. The problem/opportunity you will come across is when an upgrade to Quartus is released. Upgrading could cause you to recompile old projects and perhaps changing something by surprise.

George

Reply to
George

compiler

command

the

it

data

Thanks Subroto,

With 10 min. compile times I can ping pong between two projects and stay productive. I've been doing it for some time, but

Quartus is an awesome tool and I really want to learn more about it. The the Signal Tap II and Simulation modules are fascinating. Takes so much time and effort to learn the quirks though.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Land