most stable version of ISE ?

I've seen lots of messages a while ago about how ISE is going downhill... Which version of ISE would people recommend for fairly simple VHDL projects using Spartan-3 and Spartan-6? I'm currently developing with an old S3A prototype board, with a view to change to S6 for the next iteration. I've used ISE 10.1 in the past with no issues, but would prefer to upgrade now to ease any pain changing from S3 to S6.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Cant say I have ever had a problem with ISE. I use 13.2 with a Virtex 5 device. I guess if you are going to use S6 then you would need to use a newer version.

Jon

maxascent

It really depends what you are doing which is best. ISE12.4 was very good but had some changes particularly in IP starting to move to AXI bus interface. Prior to that 12.2 was also good. We are now running

13.2 a lot currently and many things are fixed, or much better, in the IP side.

Generally the change from PLB busses to AXI has meant a lot of change recently and that's never good for stability but that should get better with more releases. I expect 13.3 will be better again but wait and see.

John Adair Enterpo> I've seen lots of messages a while ago about how ISE is going downhill...

jects using Spartan-3 and

change to S6 for the next

e now to ease any pain

Reply to
John Adair

using Spartan-3 and

change to S6 for the next

now to ease any pain

I think the bus changes would affect EDK projects more than the "VHDL projects" noted in the OP. However I would think that 12.4 should be a minimum revision for the Spartan 6 if you want to use MIG and get the design to meet timing at the high end of its performance range. If you use ISIM for simulation, there have also been improvements in release 12.x, but I don't use newer versions so I can't comment on ISIM there. Modelsim XE is no longer available with the newer versions, so if you want to use ModelSim you may need to buy a seat of PE. I found that ISIM is easy enough to get used to, and a full seat of ISIM is at least as good as ModelSim XE, (but still far off from ModelSim PE). It's hard to say which version of ISE is most "stable" because they all have quirks, so once you learn to work around them all version become stable enough to get the job done.

One thing to watch for in versions 12.x and newer is the "new parsers" for V6 and S6 HDL design. While these have the ability to generate significantly smaller and faster results, they have some bugs to be worked out still. Version 11.5 still uses the old parsers for V6 and S6. If you find you have issues with some structures in the new parsers, you can always try to go back to 11.5 for a sanity check. One would hope that future releases will fix most of these bugs. In the meantime you may need to do post-translate simulation to make sure the synthesis didn't break the design.

-- Gabor

Reply to
Gabor