Modify POF with new ESB (ROM) content?

Hello, We have a design that has an embedded PIC processor that uses ESB's for instruction and data RAM. The target is an Altera APEX 20K100 with an EPC2 configuration PROM.

What we would like to do is download the current POF from the configuration PROM and update the instruction ROM with an updated version. While this would be trivial to do going through the build system again, we aren't sure the Quartus project we have builds exactly what is in the EPC2 (hardware-wise). We got the code and project from the contractor who designed the firmware, but the firmware was done before revision control was in place, and no one knows what, exactly, got put into the revision control system.

So, can you take a POF file from an EPC2 configuration memory and alter the ROM contents of the ESB's?

Thanks!

Reply to
radarman

I can build my project and after that quickly build the hex/mif and merge it into the sof. Why do you think this is so bad?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

quit simple

if you want to deliver a BITFILE only and allow the client to change the software but not the FPGA bit file itself.

this is VERY simple with Xilinx tools and IMPOSSIBLE with Altera tools

.

How many times that needs to be explained?

there is not even need to have all tools installed for bitstream update only the C compiler and merge tool

Antti

Reply to
Antti

The client will still need the SDK and FPGA tools from the vendor.

Or do you look at the bit-file as a method of protecting your HDL code from your customer?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

good god... how can it be that you dont understand...

the ELF to BIT merge is much simpler than the cdb_mif update

this is the reason why XILINX is doing it that way. this is how ALL FPGA vendors should do it, at least all FPGA VENDORS that offer soft-core solutions.

sure its my opinion, but I am sure i am not the only one, who would like to see

DATA2BIT tools (aka elf to programming file merge) for other FPGAs too, not only for Xilinx.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Sounds like simple common sense - what is it that prevents Altera from offering this ? - and why did they miss this obvious flow ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I do understand the difference between the two. I've used both tools.

I know that it's simpler. But when you have the RTL source there is no practical difference. At least it's not for me. It only takes a couple seconds to run the merge in each case.

But if you have lost the source (like the OP) or will not give some

3rd party the Quartus project file then quartus_cdb will not help you.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

*If* you have RTL source, and *if* you have it in the right place.

I've tried to explain this to Altera reps several times, and they just don't get it that their tool is much less capable than Xilinx's in this area. It's effectively like saying that you have to have design documents for your entire PC on hand if you want to install an updated BIOS...

There are some hints out there that it may not be too hard to reverse engineer

Reply to
cs_posting

B.t.w two questions:

- can anybody give an example commandline for a real world DATA2MEM example?

- can any FPGA family BRAM be written by JTAG directly without upsetting the rest of the FPGA configuration?

Uwe Bonnes

It's been a while (don't have access to ISE at the moment), but I've usually done this through bitinit, something like:

bitinit system.mhs -bm system.bmm -pe ppc405_0 executable.elf -bt old.bit -o new.bit

Somebody else probably have a similar data2mem command laying around somewhere.

That's what I normally do with the NIOS software. It depends on how your application will handle that your software is replaced with a new version on-the-fly.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?