Microblaze Resources such as BRAMS, LUTS

Hello all,

I am a newbie in the FPGA stuff!..

I wanted to know some FPGA resource consumption by the microblaze but could not find some specific details such as how much BRAMS does it take (with minimal configuration) ?...I checked other documents but they had its architecture but not these resource consumption details!...

Also, I installed ISE Design suite 13.2 Embedded Kit ( License type: Evaluation). And followed base system builder guidelines for spartan 6 board with microblaze (My OS is Win 7). But I could not create netlist and design summary.. Is this because of the evaluation license issue ?

Also could anyone suggest a weblink or source where I can start learning from basics about the FPGA development toolkit ?...

Thanks you, Hrishi

hrishi24h

BRAM for MicroBlaze depends to a large extent on how much instruction memory you assign during the BSB process.

In my experience evaluation licenses have done everything you can do with a full license, with the possible exception of creating a bitstream. So I don't think the netlist generation problem is from the license. On the other hand Windows 7 Professional is the only W7 officially supported for ISE. There may be some issues using WIndows 7 Home...

Reply to
Gabor

It depends on the cache size you choose. AFAIK the core CPU doesn't need any BRAMs at all.

There's also the instruction/data memory that you may hang off the LMB, which also takes up BRAMs, but isn't technically part of microblaze.

I doubt it - evaluation license may stop you at the bsitstream phase, but not the netlisting. Post the error messages...

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/39-electronic-hardware