Microblaze question

Is there any way for a hobbyist to obtain the EDK in order to work w/ Microblaze? Or is there any other way to obtain Microblaze? I don't have the experience to be able to go to opencores and dive into one of the processors there.

Thanks, Tom Spamming this account signifies your unqualified consent to a free security audit

Reply to
spammersarevermin

You need to buy EDK to get MicroBlaze. Not cheap for a hobby engineer at US$495. You can buy from a Xilinx distributor or from the Xilinx website.

--
John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Low Cost Spartan3 Development

Order a "Spartan-3E Starter Kit" when they become available. The EDK evaluation is included.

This link should work:

But I'm getting a "techinical difficulties" page.

-- Phil Hays

Reply to
Phil Hays

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:19:26 -0800, Phil Hays blurted:

Thanks, I bought a Spartan3 starter kit several months ago but couldn't load the bundled software because it bluescreened by development box. So I installed 7.1i. Didn't even realize the the EDK was part of the starter kit.

Tom

Spamming this account signifies your unqualified consent to a free security audit

Reply to
spammersarevermin

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:19:26 -0800, Phil Hays blurted:

^^ Sorry, parsed this as 3, not 3E

It's still a shame that Microblaze costs $500. Now I'm done whining.

Thanks, Tom

Spamming this account signifies your unqualified consent to a free security audit

Reply to
spammersarevermin

What's so special about microblaze for a hobbyist project? That it's presented as turn-key?

The open cores projects, or rolling your own, may have a steeper learning curve, but as a hobbyist you trade a willingess to consider that for an unwillingness to pay what a commercial customer might.

If you want to get a task accomplished, buy microblaze or more likely use a common microcontroller either on its own or with a small fpga.

If you want to learn something, get the biggest FPGA eval board you can afford and either write your own processor, or adapt one of the open cores projects to it.

Reply to
cs_posting

The link doesn't work because someone at Xilinx screwed up.. pardon my Danish...

You might find what you want here. The EDK has only a 6 month license.. I don't know if it will remain operational after that. If it doesn't, then an Altera NOS II might be a better bet as the license is one year, and the only restriction is you can't produce any commercial product.

Simon

Simon Peacock

spammersarevermin schrieb:

There are two clones of the microblaze available in sourcecode.

the aeMB from poencores -- programmable with the gnu assembler (mb-as).

the openfire processor -- should work with mb-gcc (there is a demonstration on the websites)

have a nice synthesis Eilert

Reply to
backhus