Microblaze 4.0 with uClinux is ok or not?

Hi

help - please could somebody confirm if the latest uclinux kernel would work with EDK 7.1 made system using MicroBlaze 4.0 ?

I do have some problems, the 7.1 built hardware only works with ancient 2003 made image, with any newer images I get errors and there is never any bootmessage coming

I was sure that 4.0 is OK as Gregs V4LX25 demo is made with EDK 7.1 but then I checked the .MHS and there was still microblaze 3.0 used so I am wonder why wasnt the MB upgraded to 4.0 ?

thanks

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

"Antti Lukats" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d814rs$573$05$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

work

2003

then

I am replying myself -

3 out 4 microblaze user are not able to use 4.0 for uClinux and all those 3 have downgraded to 3.0

1 out 4 reports no problems with 4.0, to my knowledge this one lucky user is working on linux host, all others are doing the EDK system on windows boxes.

not sure where there 4.0 bugs come from and if they are related the host PC OS where the EDK is hosted.

Antti PS after downgrading the microblaze to 3.0

started to work fully with networking support!!

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti,

I took the standard ml401_uclinux_66mhz project distributed via my website, changed microblaze's HW_VER to 4.0, rebuilt, and it appears to work OK. The design marginally fails timing, but it seems that lots of V4 microblaze designs do under 7.1. This is ISE7.1 SP2, EDK7.1 SP1, building under Linux (CentOS 3.4 **)

Anyway here's the proof:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo FPGA-Arch: virtex4 CPU-Ver: 4.00.a CPU-MHz: 66.666667 BogoMips: 32.87 HW-Div: yes HW-Shift: yes Icache: 16kB Dcache: 16kB HW-Debug: yes

Note I'm still building the kernel with the custom toolchain (based on EDK6.3) - am still trying to resolve some issues I'm seeing with the mb-gcc in 7.1

Regards,

John

** CentOS is our new recommended platform for Xilinx Linux work - it's a re-engineer of RH EL3.0, and the Xilinx tools work straight out of the box. You do need to rebuild the parallel port and windrvr drivers, but that also works trivially, just download from xilinx, type "make" and you're done.
Reply to
John Williams

Antti,

the features of hydraxc look good, but when will it be available? What about pricing info?

One more point: Are you aware of the name clash of your product with an FPGA based chess engine. Probably the strongest chess machine at the time:

Martin

Reply to
Martin Schoeberl

"Martin Schoeberl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42a9ae19$0$11352$ snipped-for-privacy@tunews.univie.ac.at...

work

pretty soon now, we had initital problems with the suppliers so there is only a small batch manufactured but for actual production batch the date is depending on the deliveries from two companies, the dates are confirmed within 1 or 2 weeks from today, so shortly after that the product would be available as well. The product is using pretty much smallest form factor components from everything (well 0402 not 0201 but otherwise smallest packages), so those tend to be hard to get. Like the 12MHz oscillator is

2.5mm x 2mm size, pretty cool! 3mm x 2.5 is nice already, but 2x2.5 really funny thing.

As of today I can only confirm that the product is not just a PR photoshooting dummy (as on the webpage!) but really assembled and working unit. It boots uClinux from latest cvs update including networking support and the USB HS OTG Chip is functional as well.

pricing is somewhere on the web, or you can aske, I am not involved on the marketing side

its known.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats