Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

Hi *,

I keep coming across answer records and script files containing the
setting of undocumented environment variables, such as
XIL_ROUTE_ENABLE_DATA_CAPTURE, XIL_BITGEN_VIRTEX2ES,
XIL_XST_HIDEMESSAGES and so on.

Is there a complete list of these hidden cheat codes? Any "official"
documentation at all?

Whenever I'm stuck in a design, and find out that some magical
environment variable just fixes my problem, I wonder if maybe there is
something like the Holy Grail... something like the "Answer to Life, the
Universe and Everything", as in a "XIL_MAKE_EVERYTHING_WORK"- or
"XIL_42"-variable or something. Haven't found it but thought I could ask.

cu,
Sean

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

One first step to know about all variables:
 607 hits! Also some are error messages...
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables
Not bad! Should've thought about that...

Looks like the variable I'm supposed to set doesn't even exist in
ISE6.3, even more fun... ;)

cu,
Sean

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables
Some of these variables come and do go. Usually it comes in as a quick fix
then gets properly incorporated into the tools on the next release. When
incorporated they support gets dropped. It can be a pain to script lovers
but as I am not one of those I don't usually find this as an issue.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of MINI-CAN. CAN Bus Development Board.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

Don't forget the PAR_ and PL_ variables!

I'm with Martin on this one... there is really no excuse for them using
environment variables.  In fact, I've complained about it, exactly for
source control reasons.  The two main responses I got:

1. Something along the lines of "variables are used on a temporary
basis for ES parts, or for bugs that will be fixed in the next SW
release" - which completely ignores the source control issue, and the
fact that some of their customers may be stuck using or supporting ES
parts forever, or unable to upgrade to the next SW release.

2. Something like that it was "difficult" to pass the variables read
from a UCF file from one program to the next.  I was flabbergasted by
that response - there are so many different ways this could be done.
Not only that, but Xilinx already does it with the CONFIG_STEPPING
variable, that you can put in your UCF!

This ranks right up there with the binary project file they've just
introduced.

   Marc

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

XIL_XST_HIDEMESSAGES is supposed to suppress the warnings that cause my
report files to grow to several tens of thousands of lines long... IT
DOESN'T WORK!

-Jim

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

I'm using XIL_XST_HIDEMESSAGES with 6.1i and it works fine.  You just
can't pick which messages it hides.  One thing I noticed was that I
usually need to add these variables to the user environment because for
some reason they are not always picked up by the tools when placed in
the system environment.

-Gabor

Re: Magical Mystery Tour of ISE environment variables

No help for you Sean, just a small rant:

I've never understood this approach to things - it makes version
control a bit of a nightmare!  Surely there's a better way, even if
it's a file called enable-budges.txt in the project directory!

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com