M*Blaze in Cyclone ! End of What? ;)

Hi

I would like to quote Martin Schoeberl: "And a MB on an Altera FPGA, that's the end of the world."

Well the end of the world must then be TODAY? MB is working in Cyclone FPGA, screenshots available:

some comments - the program that is running in the FPGA is compiled using GPL GNU toolchain so there can be no legal issues with that type of useage. If something is GPL you have rights to use it and give away for free. So using GPL GNU toolchain for M*Blaze Cyclone implementation is defenetly allowed use. Xilinx licensing and restrictions apply only to the MicroBlaze netslist, source code and reference design and other documentation that is released under different licenses.

a funny thing is that Xilinx ISE/EDK that are using GNU and GPL stuff as much as I can see the GPL license text is not shipped with EDK distribution, what itself is violation of the GPL license ASFAIK ?, well maybe I was blind and the GPL license is somewhere hidden. Altera OTOH *does* comply with 3rd party licenses and included copies of the relevant licenses with Quartus/SOPC builder.

the M*Blaze/uCLinux has already received first donation offers, but more donations are welcome of course, specially in form of FPGA development hardware.

Antti PS I am not the author of the open-source M*Blaze, neither is the M*Blaze IP-Core downloadable from openchip, the primary download location for the M*Blaze IP-Core is the opencores website, project name aeMB.

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Impressive, Wonder when we will see NIOS-II on Spartan-3 ;)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I would like to point out that this has nothing to do with the Microblaze uClinux project that is run out of The University of Queensland. We are neither soliciting nor accepting donations for this work.

The Microblaze uClinux project home page:

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

You are also not the author of a single line of source code in the microblaze-uclinux project. I would appreciate it if you did not make comments that could be misunderstood as representing me or any other contributor to that project.

There is no such thing as M*Blaze. The author of aeMB has wisely avoided any direct reference to Microblaze. If the Leon core had been called SP*RC, it would have lasted about 10 minutes before Sun jumped on it.

Please let the people who do the work, speak for themselves.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Williams

more

M*Blaze

the

You are right that there is no source from me in the uCLinux project, except that I wrote and made available for free to anyone a bootloader from SystemACE for uCLinux image, there is also source code to test the system to mbvanilla compliance, both source codes are available for downloads

since february 2004, I also have ported uCLinux/MicroBlaze to different FPGA platforms and helped others in such porting. If that doesnt count as contributing to the project in your eyes so be it.

I have not made such comments, I am not stupid you know. Besides uCLinux is not your project.

I want to see aeMB based system to be mbvanilla compliant, thats all !

If I cant use uCLinux in that context then I will use uC*Linux if that pleases you?

sure there is no M*Blaze so why get upset?

Did I disturb you doing your work? Sorry if I did wasnt my intent.

gee John, sorry to get you upset! That really was not my intent!

have abreak have kit-kat take look at the bright side :)

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats