LUT distributed memory in FPGA devices

I wanted to add to the thread at

subject: does SRL exist in non-xilinx FPGAs?

But i got the message: replies are not allowed ? i really don't why? and who adds this constraint. as such i am opening this thread as a follow up to the previous posts at the above link. here is my message

I have just realised that Lattice LUT can be configured as 16x1 bit RAM ( , page 9). Is this an infringement to the above cited Xilinx Patents?

If not why Altera have not equipped their LUT with the same capability? They have instead in startix-3 the 640-bit Memory LAB(MLAB) which can be seen(i hope i am not mistaken) as 10 parallel altera LUTs. This is possible only thpugh in only half of the die

If the lattice LUT RAM mode infringes the XILINX patent, it should be the same (IMHO) with ALtera MLAB

The above in my opinion contradicts the claims that Xilinx is the unique FPGA device which provides distributed memory through their CLBs

any thought please?

Many thanks :)

Reply to
tlenomade

at

This is an unmoderated newsgroup. You can write anything you want, from deeply scientific to disgustingly vulgar. It has all been done. Nobody canl allow or disallow that. Whether Xilinx should or will enforce its patents against Lattice is a matter too complex for this newsgroup. Anybody can obviously violate any patent anytime. The question is whether the legal patent owner will let him get away with it... Peter Alfke.

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Patents are often difficult to follow,

I suggest you use something (like google

to search for what you are asking about.

After spending a few hours, you should be able to see what Xilinx has claimed as what they 'own', and what others claim they 'own.'

Generally speaking, if a designer needs to provide a feature, and that feature is patented by their competitor, there are usually ways to not infringe. The implementation may not be optimal, or the least costly, or the best performance, but often it is adequate, and meets the design goals.

Since Lattice bought up the ORCA(tm Lucent) products, and Lucent and Xilinx had cross-licenses in place (this was during the "second source days"), there also may still be agreements that survive to this day (I just do not know, however).

As Peter suggests, unless you are interested in a career in law, this is best left to the lawyers.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Peter, Austin Many thanks for your replys. I was just curious :)

Kind Regards

Reply to
tlenomade