Lowest Power Design in an FPGA

What is the lowest power design you have done in an FPGA or CPLD? There have been some very low power devices on the market for a number of years now. I assume there have been some designs that push the power consumption to new lows in various "zero power" parts.

What design did you do that was very power sensitive, what parts did you use and how low did you get your power consumption?

Did you use any special tricks to get the power lower than you thought possible? Were you able to meet the goals you estimated before you did the design? In other words, any surprises?

Did you learn any limitations of the parts in what you could do in low power modes? Features you couldn't use or ways the parts didn't work as well as expected?

One thing that has occurred to me is that many RAM based parts have to be configured. This often takes a fair amount of power that might be a lot more than zero. Is there any way to stretch this out so the rate of configuration reduces the power level?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Flash-based FPGAs consume less than SRAM-based FPGAs. A few examples are Igloo and SmartFusion2 from Microsemi. I think dynamic power is about the same, but static power is close to zero and configuration power is zero (because they retain the configuration when powered down!)

Tullio

Reply to
tullio

configuration power is zero (because they retain the configuration when powered down!)

Posting through Google I see... double spacing needs to be trimmed out of quotes with them.

I don't know where you got your info on power consumption. Power consumption depends on many other things than just RAM vs Flash. I don't know of any FPGA type devices that are as low power as the iCE40 from Lattice. They have static power down to 19 uA and very low dynamic power. I haven't seen any figures from the Igloo that make me think they have lower power than this. Do you have dynamic power figures for the Igloo parts?

Rick

Reply to
rickman