low speed USB interface for FPGAs

Hello all,

I am a college student experimenting with VHDL and currently using the Spartan 3 starter kit. This particular kit (unlike the Spartan3e) does not come with an onboard usb connector. I was hoping to add one and bring in the D+ and D- lines directly into the FPGA I/O pins. I realize that these signals are RS485 differential, and that the FPGA would require LVTTL input.

I plan to hook a device like a usb mouse to this board, which would only use USB1.1 standard, and I expect the swing to be somewhere around

3.3 to 3.6V, and the the tolerance would be safe enough to bring into the FPGA. Is this something that can be done? I am still fumbling around the thick USB manual, but I believe that it is possible.

Assuming that I am stuck with the current Spartan3 board, how can I allow a low speed device like a mouse to interface with the FPGA? Thank you very much for any insight you can offer.

Reply to
vu_5421

USB transceivers are cheap:

USB HDL can be found here:

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

vu_5421 schrieb:

it has been done by japanese, there is an project that has specialized tiny processor that implements the mouse host usb stuff

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Jon,

Does one of these USB transceivers exist in a dual in line package, in

1/10 '' spacing, where I can easily solder to my test board? Thanks.
Reply to
vu_5421

NO.

Reply to