Low Cost FPGA Charge Pump Power supply

New TechiTip added to our website for a 5p (GBP) or 10c (US) FPGA based
charge pump power supply. You will find it here
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/techitips/Previous_TechiTips/5p_charge_pump.html .
It's good for a bus switch power supply and for using N-Channel FETs in
providing an above rail gate voltage application. We are using this circuit
in the new board Tarfessock1 so you will all get to see the end results. It
has a number of applications beyond this Techitip and we may do some follow
ups if there is enough interest.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Some To Be Home of Tarfessock1. The Cardbus Spartan-3E
Development Board.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk

Re: Low Cost FPGA Charge Pump Power supply
On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:03:34 +0100) it happened "John Adair"

When I was young we used to call this a 'Villard' circuit...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier

A 'charge pump' connacts and disconnects the capacitors with swithes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/725

Nevertheless a nice solution you have there.

Re: Low Cost FPGA Charge Pump Power supply
I agree the technique is nothing new. Just a cheap way to do it. How cheap
does depend on how you cost your FPGA pin. The other good thing is the size
is good even compared to a charge pump with integrated caps. The tracking
ability to Vccio is also useful and not so easy to do in an integrated
charge pump.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development
Board.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk