Low Cost FPGA Charge Pump Power supply

New TechiTip added to our website for a 5p (GBP) or 10c (US) FPGA based charge pump power supply. You will find it here

It's good for a bus switch power supply and for using N-Channel FETs in providing an above rail gate voltage application. We are using this circuit in the new board Tarfessock1 so you will all get to see the end results. It has a number of applications beyond this Techitip and we may do some follow ups if there is enough interest.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Some To Be Home of Tarfessock1. The Cardbus Spartan-3E Development Board.

John Adair

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:03:34 +0100) it happened "John Adair" wrote in :

When I was young we used to call this a 'Villard' circuit...

A 'charge pump' connacts and disconnects the capacitors with swithes.

Nevertheless a nice solution you have there.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I agree the technique is nothing new. Just a cheap way to do it. How cheap does depend on how you cost your FPGA pin. The other good thing is the size is good even compared to a charge pump with integrated caps. The tracking ability to Vccio is also useful and not so easy to do in an integrated charge pump.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair