looking for a basic PCIe example

Hi,

I'm looking for a high-speed PCI express example, like the one given in this video:

but obviously my google-fu is failing me because I can't find an example matching the video.

Does anyone have a DMA example as he shows, or something similar. I've been using Xillybus thus far, which is great but isn't useful for high-speed transfers.

Advance thanks, Karol.

Reply to
revkarol

Hi,

Never heard of Xillybus before, so I was curious to take a look at it.

Why is it not useful for high-speed transfers? Page 17 of this manual discusses high speed IO. I only skim read it, but it seems to discuss the relevant technique, mapping user space RAM as a DMA buffer.

Rupert

Reply to
rupertlssmith

Hi Rupert,

On his website, he says the limits are about 400 MB/s for most devices, which is nothing like the PCIe bandwidth (assuming you've more than one lane).

The limitation seems to be due to the bus width/CPU overhead. The author explains it here:

To talk to another device, I'll have to write my own driver I think. That's probably too much work for what I want so, I'll probably use some sort of high speed Gb connection.

If you don't need warp-speed, I'd still recommend xillybus. It's extremely easy to use, even for a n00b like me.

Thanks for the resp> >

Reply to
Karol Hennessy