locking hdl to a particular fpga

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock code to work only on a particular fpga? I know the device has a jtag identifier, which identifies the fpga family, but I don't know if part of that idcode reflects a unique serial number associated to only 1 fpga. I'm looking to write some code that checks if the id of that fpga is valid, otherwise the code won't run.

Thanks,

-- Matt

Reply to
Matthew Plante

"Matthew Plante" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:djr665$as2$ snipped-for-privacy@tabloid.unh.edu...

only doable with flash FPGA or external nonvolatile memory on PCB is required.

RAM based FPGA have no serial number.

the jtagid is vendor and part type identifier only

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Encrypted bit stream. Key is put into battery backed up register in FPGA, and unless the encryption and decryption keys match, the FPGA doesn't configure.

See:

Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot
Reply to
Phil Hays

If this is related to preventing a competitor from selling boards with your functionality after capturing your bitstreams and then programming identical FPGAs I solved this problem by going to Fuse-based FPGAs from Actel.

RAUL

Reply to
raulizahi