Linux on V2P

Can anyone tell me what the minimum external hardware requirements are to run embedded Linux on a V2P PPC? How much (DDR/) SDRAM? 32 or 16 bits wide? How much Flash? Serial or parallel interface? Any other required I/O? Probably a serial port as a minimum, I'd imagine.

Also, here's a weird one. Can two PPC's share the same SDRAM and Flash resources? My guess is that they could (with additional logic implemented in the FPGA) although it would proabably be convoluted.

Thanks,

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

I would suggest starting out with someone else's board first, unless you have a whole lot of free time on your hands. I used the Avnet 2VP20 board, and it seems to work reasonably well, and is also reasonably priced. It comes with a complete Linux development environment. For what it is worth, it is using a 16MB Flash, a 32MB SDRAM, and a 2MB SRAM (Linux doesn't use the SRAM), all 32 bits wide. And it comes with both ethernet and serial interfaces, both of which work under Linux.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

It is possible, The arbiter logic is not complicated but but most of the memory pins would require its own fpga io pin.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Free time I do not have. This is for future PPC implementation on a new design that won't use them initially. I think I'll just place a high-speed I/O expansion connector on the board with enough (and the proper) resources to support a nice amount of DDR2 and Flash. The final configuration can then be addressed when that mezzanine board is designed. I just got done looking at that eval board's documentation as I read your post. It is a good starting point.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin