Linux, ISE 7.1, problems, problems, problems ....

ok, ok we've beaten this subject to death already ....

I just had this really radical and crazy idea:

XILINX, how about a BETA program ? I mean one before you burn the CDs and make a product announcement and we are stuck with a useless plastic disc.

If I look at all the issues that people are having with 7.1, they are all so trivial and easy to to solve (include a few libs, distribute a statically linked setup program, etc.).

I'm sure a few of us with subscription would volunteer to test drive a pre-release version of your s/w. - I know I would.

Wouldn't that be much nicer than shipping Beta software and having everybody whine and complain ???

Wouldn't it be nicer if people would post messages expressing their joy how easy and functional the s/w upgrade was ?

All you need is a dozen or so beta testers. Don't tell me thats more work than to creating all the work around and answer records and all the support calls ....

As I said, a very radical idea !

rudi ============================================================= Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services,

Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Reply to
Rudolf Usselmann

And a good one.

But I fear that nobody from the ISE programming department reads here :-(

Uwe Bonnes

I know somewhere else they don't read...

;-)

Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

There is sort of such a thing, it's called the early access program. Contact Xilinx directly, then get ready for multi-gigabyte downloads in the months leading up to a tool release!

I'm not sure though what channels are provided for early access members to feedback directly to the SW development teams - you certainly don't want to go through the hotline on that!

I think there's a catch-22 here - people doing production designs are often (and understandably) reluctant to install a "beta" version of the tools, for fear it will break their current workflows.

However, without having the beta tools tested on real designs, Xilinx won't get any feedback on things that are broken.

A real beta test program is a lot more rigourous than a few volunteers offering to maybe try out the tools on some of their designs - because you aren't paying these people, you can't force them to actually do anything useful for you.

Not sure what the solution is though...

John

Reply to
John Williams