License Key based on WLAN/Bluetooth MAC

Evnin'

To make life easier when I decide to abandon an old Workstation to get a more powerful one...

Can for example Quartus or ispLever use the MAC address of a Bluetooth or WLAN dongle so when I buy a new PC I just need to move the Bluetooth/WLAN dongle?

thx in advance rick

Reply to
Richard Klingler

At least for the WLAN dongle, there are chances that this will work. It depends on how the program tried to acquire the MAC address. If it uses the normal dlls, this can also be faked. There are also tools to fake the MAC address on many hardwares. To understand hwo the program acquire, install the application in wine, run with debug messeages anables and scroll throught tons of output.

Any news from your Lattice board for the MICO32 development?

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

Hi Uwe

Gonna try that with Quartus and ispLever now with 2 Bluetooth dongles now as I have no WLAN dongles abvailable...

Yes...Lattice Semiconductor finally sent me the Mico32DSP board together with Linux and Windows licenses for ispLever (o;

Now just need to get SO-DIMM module and sart working on u-boot and later on uClinux for it (o;

cheers rick

Reply to
Richard Klingler

Altera and Lattice use flexlm. I have had difficulties in the past with machines with multiple NIC's to make flexlm select the correct one.

I'm using a dedicated license server where the internal NIC is disabled and a separate PCI NIC. If the server breaks down I set up a new one and put the NIC into the new machine. PC's are much more likely to fail than NICs. Of course you need to have floating license for this type of setup.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Because I can read it 3 times faster. Especially when continually following a thread and when most people DON'T edit. Q: Why is TOP POSTING a GOOD thing.

-- Greg

Reply to
Gregory C. Read

Hello Petter

Petter Gustad schrieb:

I just tried with generating a license for ispLever Starter 6.1 with the MAC address from my D-LINK DWL-G122 adapter and it works out of the box (o;

Also did it for Altera Quartus and it shows 2 NICs and it works with either license generated for each MAC address.

So this is a nice way if you want to work on a project on several locations like office and home...so you just take your WLAN dongle with you (o;

Not sure about Xilinx/Actel...but I just don't care about them (o;

rick

Reply to
Richard Klingler