Lattice MachXO2 breakout board - replacing FPGA with different one ?

I have a couple of that neat boards with XO2-7000 and not much else.

I managed to burn the FPGA on one of them and since Farnell didn't have the exact 7000HE model that was on the board, I used 7000HC and bridged VCC so that chips gets 3.3V for core power that it wants.

But now I can't program it through FTDI. I've noticed several variations of the board. Some had XO2-1200 while mine have XO2-7000HE.

Shoould this with pin-compatible chip just work or do I have to have different EEPROM content for FTDI ?

BTW, trivial "blinkenled" example on _this_ board  fails with:

*************
Device#1 LCMXO2-7000HC: Failed to verify the ID
(Expected: 0x012BD043 Read: 0xFFFFFFFE).

ERROR - Check configuration setup: Unsuccessful.

ERROR: pgr_program failed.

ERROR - Programming failed.
**********

If it doesn't work through FTDI, I'll use ISP cable on it, but it's nuisance...

Re: Lattice MachXO2 breakout board - replacing FPGA with different one ?

I'm not sure what's wrong.  If the ID were all 1's, I'd say it was a bad
solder joint, but with the lone 0 in the returned ID that doesn't seem
to fit.  Still, that ID is just not right either and it would seem
something is wrong with the JTAG.  Is the "expected" ID for a 7000HC or
a 7000HE?

--

Rick C

Re: Lattice MachXO2 breakout board - replacing FPGA with different one ?

I sorted it out. It works now. YEAH ! ;o)
BOard was damaged in very weid way. I seems that I managed to stab the board with something like Xacto knife in exactly the "right" spot - TDI line at ISP connector. It was so small it was practically invisible.

After patching that track, XO2 Breakout Board works fine with HC chip now ;o)

  Still, that ID is just not right either and it would seem