Lattice MachXO is LAUNCHED NOW!

Finally launched!

additional features (what I did not know)

1) standby 2) 20MHz on chip oscillator 3) distributed memory in all devices

and first devices should be available already !!

WAU!!

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Finally launched!

additional features (what I did not know)

1) standby 2) 20MHz on chip oscillator 3) distributed memory in all devices

and first devices should be available already !!

WAU!!

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Seen any pricing yet? I'm guessing about US$2-$4 for smallest to largest in (say) 1k lots. Will ask the rep tomorrow.

Pity about the lack of small useable (non-bga) packages (a 20 pin SOIC or 44 pin TQFP would have been nice). I've also got a ready application for one thats 4 times as big as the biggest.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Unbeliever

"Unbeliever" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42dcccc1$0$25427$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

in

44

yep, TSOP20 would be nice! or QFN32

the only pricing I have is approx 8$USD for machXO1200 qty 100

thats not so bad as I you get a free PLL too :)

the bad thing is that the free tools support for machXO is promised in August only :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Alf,

100p TQFP is a quite useful package, don't you think?

If you're looking for a big 'MachXO', then you end up with the LatticeXP - 10K LUT's. The only trade off is that you'll need a BGA package, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Luc

Reply to
Luc

They're all useful packages. There exist, hovever, a class of applications and hence a market that doesn't require lots of I/O, does require significant logic and RAM, and does require small low cost 2-4 layer PCBs without the luxury of the acres of real estate required to get signals out of a larger, tighter package. Of course, I don't know the physical die sizes, so smaller packages may not be possible.

Yes, the XPs are nice (for me they'd be better with even more RAM), I've been looking at the LFXP6 which *is* available in PQFP (and 208 pins is ideal for this app). My private company's motto is "Good, fast, cheap: pick any two", the motto of FPGA vendors seems to be "Large, Non-volatile, cheap, pick any two", probably for similar economic reasons. It's only been relatively recent that FPGAs are competitive with small hard processors in cost constrained markets, and prices are coming down - though never fast enough ;o)

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Unbeliever

Alf,

There will always be designs that need something different than what the majority of the design community can use.

Look at it from another point of view: if the company you're working for can cover 80% of your targetted customers with the latest design, wouldn't you be happy?

your 2nd remark: don't generalize the fact that both Xilinx and Altera are playing it hard on the high end side of the FPGA market - and it can't be big enough. Lattice's emphasis has been last couple of years to introduce some parts with unique features in the low end side. Look at XP and last year the EC and ECP families. All good, fast and cheap parts. Isn't that what you were looking for? ;o))

Regards,

Luc

Reply to
Luc