Large/Fast static RAM

I'm trying to determine if anyone makes a large/fast static RAM part. 16M (or more) x 16 bits (or more), 10ns.

I can't afford the address-to-data-out latency of dynamic RAM. There are ways around this, of course, but SRAM would be so much simpler.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

I don't believe that you'll find a monolithic 16Mx16 SRAM. You'll need multiple devices. You can start your search on QuestLink. There are plenty of 10 ns, x16 asynchronous RAMs out there. There are also some x32, 200 MHz+ synchronous RAMs.

-- Steve Knapp

Reply to
Steven K. Knapp

Martin Euredjian wrote: : I'm trying to determine if anyone makes a large/fast static RAM part. 16M : (or more) x 16 bits (or more), 10ns.

: I can't afford the address-to-data-out latency of dynamic RAM. There are : ways around this, of course, but SRAM would be so much simpler.

4Mibit Devices are in full production (256kix16). I guess it will take some time until 256MiBit are available.

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Check ISSI, they have a 18 Mb (x18,x36,x72), synchronous static ram. Seems they have a very low latency, and support bursts.

"Martin Euredjian" ha scritto nel messaggio news:lEgLb.1476$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Antonio Pasini

I see IDT has 1M x 18 ZBT. You are right, 256M is probably far off. I posted on the outside chance that there was an obscure part out there that I didn't come across. These days searching on the net can produce so many links that it is humanly impossible to sort through all of them.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Euredjian

at Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:42:41 GMT in , 0_0_0_0 snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (Martin Euredjian) wrote :

The biggest async parts (the classic SRAM, super-simple interfacing) are the 16 Mbit parts from Cypress (CY7C1061AV33) and Toshiba (TC55V16100FT). Sync parts (much more complex interfacing, a bit of a PITA) are the 72 Mbit Cypress CY7C1482V33. Don't expect anything much larger, especially on the async parts, anytime soon. These aren't cheap, either, although you gain an incredible amount, especially with the asynchronous parts, without all the overhead associated with DRAM. Manufacturer interest will depend on your order size. How many are you looking to get? Millions? Or onesy-twosey? If the former, you may get Cypress' attention. If the latter, you'll no doubt have to be satisfied with what's available.

--
Alex Rast
ad.rast.7@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alex Rast

Alex Rast wrote: ... : The biggest async parts (the classic SRAM, super-simple interfacing) are : the 16 Mbit parts from Cypress (CY7C1061AV33) and Toshiba (TC55V16100FT). : Sync parts (much more complex interfacing, a bit of a PITA) are the 72 Mbit

At least the Cypress page doesn't sound like instant availability for the

16M asynchronous parts

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Reply to
Peter Alfke

What's you quantity per year.

You could have 16 of the cypress sevices places on a PBC or even die bonded into a module. And that module may even have a market on it's own. THis is what the IC mfgs do when they are stepping up to a larger size device.

gm

Reply to
George

Lurking around I found 72Mbit parts. These are MCM's, of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Euredjian

As everyone has said, SRAM is not an option at 16.16M for many many years.

Ordinarily DRAM isn't an option either at 10ns atleast not SDRAM & DDRAM.

But if you can live with 20ns RAS cycle RLDRAM can do it, at 256M today. Its 8 way banked and has separate IO for brutal bandwidth at

400MHz by 8,16,32. look at Infineon and Micron sites.

Xilinx has docs on it as well in their memory section. Avnet IIRC has an eval board with a slightly slower version.

There are also other faster DRAMs from the other guys, but not quite as fast as I can tell.

IBM makes DRAM that cycles in 5ns or so for internal cache (EET article), but I don't think there will be any external product at that speed till the DRAM guys get demand from...

Hope that helps

johnjaksonATusaDOTcom

Reply to
john jakson

You may also be able to throw more pins at the problem, and use multiple RAM banks to get some more bandwidth (and thus lower nett access times). Not nice to add pins, but sometimes the design dictates it ...

-jg

Reply to
jim granville

John,

RLDRAM looks very interesting. A quick price and availability in the Avnet site does not show these parts as being readily available. Nothing like the bleeding edge! Maybe a phonecall or two is required. I also saw the Memec P160 demo module. I have the Memec V2 Microblaze board that takes these P160's, so it would be very easy to evaluate the solution.

Thanks,

--