Laptop without serial/parallel port

Hi All,

I have recently received a new all singing all dancing (well nearly :-) laptop but unfortunately it no longer has a serial or parallel port (Dell

5150). In order to use my serial and parallel download/program cables I need one of those USB to serial/parallel converters.

Do they work (i.e. simulate a real parallel/serial port) or am I asking for trouble?

What about a PCMCIA parallel/serial card?

Thanks

Hans

Hans

My experience is that they do work. (USB converters) I have a Compaq Evo N800v. I hate having to take them along but they appear to work as advertised. I have heard of others having trouble though.

need

for

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

We tried months ago, but with only troubles. They do not come from hardware, but from software ... all is depending on how the drivers are written.

Amontec annouced a new USB pod for Xilinx and Altera JTAG access. The POD will be ready for Q1 2004.

Laurent

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!

-- See

----

Reply to
Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

There's a tip on ISE5 of Xilinx: Please set the environment variable XIL_IMPACT_LPT2_BASE_ADDRESS to the base address used by your USB converter. It's worked on a PCI printer card in ISE5 / Windows 2000. However, I don't know if it will work on USB converter.

"Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch" : snipped-for-privacy@amontecDELETEALLCAPS.com... : Hans wrote: : > Hi All, : > : > I have recently received a new all singing all dancing (well nearly :-) : > laptop but unfortunately it no longer has a serial or parallel port (Dell : > 5150). In order to use my serial and parallel download/program cables I need : > one of those USB to serial/parallel converters. : > : > Do they work (i.e. simulate a real parallel/serial port) or am I asking for : > trouble? : > : > What about a PCMCIA parallel/serial card? : > : > Thanks : > : > Hans : > : >

: > : > : Hi, : : We tried months ago, but with only troubles. They do not come from : hardware, but from software ... all is depending on how the drivers are : written. : : Amontec annouced a new USB pod for Xilinx and Altera JTAG access. The : POD will be ready for Q1 2004. : : Laurent :
: : ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ : Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion : groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble! : -- See
----

Reply to
louis lin

I've had no problems with a Quatech PCMCIA parallel card. It was expensive (relative to what you get). but it works. And as another poster points out, you need to set an environment variable to tell the Xilinx S/W the correct IO port.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I guess the next thing is too simply buy one and try it out,

Regards, Hans.

: snipped-for-privacy@am> : > Hi All,

:-)

(Dell