Kingston ValueRAM double deckers

Some weeks ago I posted a question, the answer turned out to be a dodgy SDRAM controller. Any that's working well now [runs out and hugs tree].

However at the time I suspected Kingston ValueRAM which turned out to be unfounded. However there is something very strange about them. They seem to be built, not only using re-painted chips but having them two high. The modules we thought had sixteen chips (plus prom) in fact has thirty two when you look more closely. A few pins don't connect between the two decks and there seems to be a wafer in between.

Of course this does put twice the capacitive loading on the control lines which wouldn't help if we wanted to run at a decent speed. Am I being paranoid are do they do some sort of re-manufacturing using dodgy chips by perhaps fusing data lines on bad chips to end up with a module that works properly ?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

It's a reasonably common hack to get 2x as much memory on a stick. I've seen it used on servers where they really really want more memory.

You have to decide if it works for your application.

Hal Murray

Well you did buy "value ram" :-)

Don't forget that this sort of memory is designed for a PC and may not nessasariarly be as good as you (or even they) claim. If you want a better idea have a lot at toms hardware or one of the other PC testing sites. You will see they don't recommend anything but good quality RAM if you want performance. Sloppy timings are easy to get away with these days as SDRAM has timings in the EEPROM so you can make it work and the average consumer won't every know. If you are working anything above the

133 and trying to get top performance, then value ram might not be a good solution. Even working at exactly 100% might be bad... PC's have cache so no one ever expects the RAM to be 100%

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock