kicad or orcad virtex5 symbol

Hi all,

I'm designing a board based on a virtex5 (XC5VLX50). I'm surprised, I can't find virtex 5 symbols for using with orcad or kicad. I only found a post explaining how to create symbol in orcad using ISE pin file. But it requires Orcad Capture, and I plan tu use kicad

for schematics, and only Cadence Allegro, the Orcad router for PCB.

This is the first time I work with Xilinx, but I know for Altera FPGA, the Orcad symbol was freely downloadable..

So if anyone can help me, or have an interesting link..

Thanks by advance,

Best regards, Michel.

Reply to
michel.talon

You won't find an FPGA symbol; it isn't done that way anymore.

You may find some (typically evaluation) boards where there is a symbol for each bank, but this gets clumsy, and thwarts any automated error checking.

Common practice is to create a seperate symbol for each interface connected to the FPGA. So you would have (for instance) a symbol for the Virtex-5 connections to the ethernet phy, another symbol for the connections to the DRAM, another symbol for the dedicated programming pins, etc., etc.

My advice: Learn how to create schematic symbols. G.

Reply to
ghelbig

Thanks for your answer, it seems to be a nice approach to obtain a schematic easily readable.

Best regards.

Reply to
michel.talon

Orcad symbols of Xilinx FPGAs are available from this site:

and specifically, the Virtex-5 LX family Orcad schematic symbol is available on this page:

schsym

I have just created a generic SPARTAN 3e symbol for ORCAD. I decided which sizes of FPGA I want to be able to support for the footprint I want, modified the description of the signals which are different between fpga size ( the different pins are clearly indicated) then imported the csv into orcad. It took me half an hour. How many hundred different variations do you think xilinx should provide?

Colin

Reply to
colin