JTAG interconnect testing, prototypes

Hi, I am looking at various alternatives for interconnect testing, especially for prototype boards that have BGAs. I am very interested to know what other people are using for JTAG interconnect testing, and what your debugging experiences are?

I have Scanseer, and I like it very much. I can do some interconnect testing and real-time monitoring with Scanseer. Another one out there is JSCAN from Macraigor Systems. I have not used JSCAN. The test script recorder stores in SVF looks like it could be good.

Does anyone do prototype interconnect testing with:

  • Amontec JTAGkey?
  • the Lattice tools - ispVM?

Any other suggestions or experiences with interconnect testing (besides X-ray:) )?

Thanks & cheers, Tony Burch

Reply to
Tony Burch

Hey Tony,

The biggest issue with interconnect issues is developing the vectors. Getting the vectors to the JTAG controller is small by comparison.

Just about any JTAG device -should- work just fine. I've bit-banged JTAG, and used high-end dedicated controllers.

The Amontec could be a good choice. It runs at 12Mbps max, which should be OK for most applications. It uses a real common chip; the value add is the support, which seems to be much better than average.

Near as I can tell, all the high-end JTAG systems add are the ability to import scan files, and nifty GUIs.

Just my opinions, G.

Reply to
ghelbig

Tony,

I've used Corelis for many years. Their latest toolset works really well in providing coverage and fault analysis. Their support is very good, too.

They also have standard test suites for RAMs that are hooked up to FPGAs, but be sure you drive the clock from the FPGA if you want this feature to work. Their latest stuff works for ac couple paths as long as the boundary scan cell supports this feature.

Talk to Karla May. She knows her stuff.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Tony,

The other great low-cost tool for JTAG Boundary Scan interconnect testing is the Universal Scan tool from

JSCAN is a licensed version of the UniversalScan. UniversalScan looks like the Scanneer, but with much more feature as the possibility to remote SPI and parallel Flash upload via any JTAG pins, as the possibility to store SVF output format. Then the SVF can be replayed with the optimized amtsvfplayer ( Amontec SVF Player ) from

.

Both Scaneer and Universal Scan can be used with Amontec JTAGkey with a real good performance, but Universal Scan takes all the advantages of the optimized amtxhal.dll ( Amontec Hardware Abstraction Layer ) allowing to be much faster.

Laurent

Burch wrote:

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

Corelis is a great tool for Interconnect testing, but I know that it is expensive. But may be one time investement on this tool is a fair deal because it saves you a whole lot of time in debugging opens and shorts.

They have various test types -- for BGA's, memory (DIMMs, flash etc). Apart from these, you can also write your own tests. For example if you have a Clock Buffer connected to an FPGA and you want to program it to enable and disable some outputs, then you can create a test which basically writes to the registers to do the same. They also have products where in you can program the EEPROM's through JTAG.

These are all what I used from Corelis and as Bob told their support is also good.

-- parag

from

beeraka

But comparing to Corelis the power of Scanseer or UniversalScan is that you do not need to write any tests or prepare some test vectors. All you need is a BSDL file and you are ready to go. You can just select a pin on graphical view and monitor its value, or manipulate with its value to test board interconnects.

Reply to
skswrus

I use onTAP by Flynn systems. See

I have been using it for about four or five years now and have always been very happy with it.

We use it to generate the test vectors, and to run the test. To generate the vectors, we give it the BSDL files for the chips, an EDIF of the schematic. It then has a few GUI pages of set up to tell it about pins that are pulled high or low, and nets that are shorted through passives. After that, it generates the vectors and a coverage report.

We use it with Xilinx FPGAs and the Xilinx parallel cable IV.

Regards,

John McCaskill

John McCaskill

Larry, I do not agree to this point. Scanseer is much more faster (performs more samples per second) then UniversalScan. It seems like UniversalScan always makes about 10 samples per second independent of what JTAG cable is connected. Scanseer performance depends on cable type (and of course JTAG chain size). With Olimex USB cable based on FTDI FT2232 (compatible to Amontec JTAG-Key) I received about 1000 samples per second for chain consisting of one Atmel ATmega device. Scanseer also has a waveform viewer to record and display such fast changing signals.

Reply to
skswrus

On a similar subject:

Any JTAG test software that is available for Linux and windows?

Thanks

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Thanks Gary, Bob, Laurent, Parag, sk, & John for your comments. That is much appreciated.

Gary, thanks. Wow, it's cool that you have bit-banged JTAG and have obviously tackled interconnect testing before.

Thanks Bob for the Corelis recommendation. A friend of mine here in Sydney uses Corelis. Definitely the higher-end and powerful stuff. I couldn't find any prices on their site but I belive it's expensive, as Parag also mentioned.

Thanks Laurent, UniversalScan looks good. I didn't know that J-Scan was a licensed version of UniversalScan, but now that I look at their websites again I can see it. The possibility of storing SVF output format with that tool looks nice. I note from their website that the price of UniversalScan is US$845.

Also, Laurent, by the way I really like the look of JTAGkey. Very nice product. I will have to get myself one of those:)...but just at the moment I am pretty happy with my parallel port Xilinx, Altera & Lattice cables. I also like that JTAGkey works with Scanseer (I am a fan of Scanseer:) ) & and other JTAG software.

sk, that's interesting about Scanseer being faster than UniversalScan, in terms of samples per second. Definitely I love the waveform viewer in Scanseer. I also like that you can slow down the sample rate with Scanseer if you want to. I do that when I just need to look at DC levels (it still gives me some indication that the clock and other signals are toggling). A few samples per second is good enough for that, but the higher sample rate is essential for other tests.

Scanseer's price is Euro$150, which is less than US$220. Great value.

Thanks John for the onTAP Flynn Systems pointer. That does look good. I note from their website the price starts at about $2,895.

Just to expand the list a little, I have also looked at the websites for: xjtag acculogic intellitech jtag technologies

Guys, I am writing an ebook & videos on low-cost JTAG interconnect testing. This is a resource for those that want to do simple interconnect testing on a prototype board (with BGAs etc.), but can't justify spending much on tools or time.

For example, for a small company, freelance designer, or hobbyist that does not do alot of development and has a limited budget. I guess there aren't alot of hobbyists buying Corelis:)

I have some valuable tips, tricks and techniques that I have found and developed that I would like to offer. If there's anything that you would like to see in an ebook like this, please drop me a line. I would really apprecate it.

I will release the ebook & videos soon at

Thanks & cheers,

Tony Burch

Reply to
Tony Burch