[JTAG] How to force a FPGA to reprogram itself from a prom with JTAG ?

Hi all !

I would like to make a Spartan 3 FPGA to reset and reprogram itself from a platform prom after I have reprogrammed the prom using JTAG boundery-scan.

Is there any instruction I can send to the FPGA or the prom with JTAG to tell the FPGA to reprogram ? Usually this is done at power-on, but in my case, I can't power-off/on the whole system to make the FPGA to get a new firmware, and I can't reprogram the FPGA directly because it's required for the JTAG operation.

Thank you

Uxello

Reply to
uxello

"uxello" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42e64094$0$20177$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

you can send 'config' command to the platform flash over JTAG if you back-connect the JTAG to the FPGA or you may pull PROG_B low, in both cases the reconfig would restart. We are doing similar thing where FPGA contains PCI logic and JTAG port to its own platform flash. So the platform flash is reprogrammed from JTAG interface that is in the FPGA and then same FPGA is reconfigured with new bitstream.

unfortunatly we are using XCF08P and xilinx has some issues with it, so we can reprogram the XCF08P but FPGA is not getting configured. We have opened

4 or 5 WebCases on this matter but not getting much help. The first WebCase we opened - the response from Xilixn was: - well there has been not much interest in XCFxxP IEEE1532 BSDL files, so we have not made them. They are scheduled for 2006. You have to wait.

I assume you are using XCFxxS so hopefully you are doing better with it, to my knowledge there are less or no problems with XCFxxS

JTAG Commands to force fpga load for XCFxxS CONFIG (11101110) XCFxxP XSC_CONFIG (0000000011101110)

always look at the BSDL files in Xilinx\xcfp\data\ !!

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Thank you Antti,

I've also found that I could also check the "Load FPGA" option when I was generating the xsvf file. That's even easier for me since i'm using XSVF player (XAPP058).

Uxello

Reply to
uxello

They seem to be available unless I am missing something: ftp://ftp.xilinx.com/pub/swhelp/bsdl/xcf.zip

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

"MM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

are

they are NOT, available are only IEEE1532 files for XCFxxS not for XCFxxP !!

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

!!

OK, I see now what you mean. I assumed there was only one BSDL standard. Can you please explain what this IEEE1532 is all about compared to "regular" bsd files?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

"MM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

XCFxxP

Can

bsd

there is one VERY BIG difference.

the IEEE1532 BSDL contains ALL the programming algorithm information needed to program the device using IEEE1532 compatible Software. A plain BSDL file does not contain this information. So if a company, (Xilinx as example) does not publish some programming algorithm, but DOES publish the IEEE1532 compliant BSDL files for the device in question then you can either extract the programming algorithm from IEEE1532 BSDL file or use IEEE1532 software to programm the device in question. So that makes the difference very important.

Xilinx promised the XCFxxP IEEE1532 BSDL files to be made available in 2006, but to all my best knowledge the current (non-ES! ) XCFxxP silicon has features that makes the XCFxxP not programmable in true plain IEEE1532 software, so Xilinx would not be able to deliver the XCFxxP IEEE1532 BSDL files in 2006 unless they fix the silicon or the IEEE1532 standard. And even if they fix the silicon by 2006, it still would not help me to program the XCF08P today. Our client is waiting for solution. And will defenetly not wait til 2006!!!

I am still waiting for the WebCases solutions, but so far nothing helpful. I was promises of some sort of reply by monday. Lets see.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Good! "MM" ?ÈëÏû?ÐÂÎÅ: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...