JTAG as UART for PowerPC in XMD.

Hi, I have seen about configuring the JTAG as UART since I have not RS232 port in my board. I have found that Xilinx provides OPB_MDM as uart with C_USE_UART PARAMETER, but in my desing I use PowerPC. In powerPC the debug is done by jtag_cntlr and not by opb_mdm so console says that "opb_mdm_0 is not accessible from processor ppc405_0".

Has anyone configured JTAG as UART in PowerPC?

Regards

Reply to
Pablo

Solved.

Reply to
Pablo

Would you mind sharing the solution? I'd like to know how to use JTAG as UART in my design as well.

Reply to
Patrick Dubois

It is very simple. If you use Microblaze, an opb_mdm block is added for the debug. Then, you have to go to Software Options and configure the STDOUT to opb_mdm_0 (that is the instance). Finally exec XMD (in bootloop mode) and write the following sentences:

connect mdm -uart read_uart

Now you could dow any executable.elf and run it. The output is written in the xmd console.

And if you have powerpc, add a opb_mdm ip core and select C_USE_UART to 1. The following process is the same as the before one.

Regards, Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

Thanks! Indeed quite simple.