its regarding to the Max Frequency in xilinx FPGA

Hi, to all i am new to this group which a great place to share and find the more discussions environment.

so my question is on xilinx virtex series FPGA's

  1. every virtex series is having maximum frequency where we can use in some of higher end applications,so virtex, virtexII, virtex-E, and virtex-II Pro all serieses are having their Max frequency based on upgradations. So xilinx will design on what kind of basis to enhance the frequency in higer versions of these serieses and is that every logic( wether they are combinational or sequential type) having same kind of frequency(what Max frequency of FPGA is having).?

May this question in easier one,...but if any one having a good answer...it will be a great thing.

regards, Sreeni, Moog,Inc

Reply to
jshrini.vasu

Speed enhancements in newer generation FPGA's come from 2 sources. The first is process enhancements (usually reduced geometry) which is something developed mostly by the fabrication partner and to some extent "tweaked" by Xilinx. Reduced geometry generally results in better speed as well as increased density.

The second is architecture enhancements. These have additional impact on device speed that can be carried over to further process generations. The original Virtex series gained a great deal of speed in its routing for example over the previous generations of Xilinx FPGA which had passive routing connections. Virtex 5 has increased the LUT size to 6-inputs which can reduce logic levels in complex designs.

Process enhancements generally affect all of the chip timing parameters, while architecture enhancements can affect only some timing parameters, or some more than others. For example increasing the LUT size doesn't generally affect the maximum toggle rate of the fabric flip-flops. Depending on what you do with the FPGA some architecture enhancements can make a tremendous difference in performance, for example the addition of DSP48 for signal-processing applications. These same enhancements may make no difference at all to other designs that implement a lot of random state-machines.

I'm sure Austin can point out a number of other improvements over time in the Virtex series, as well as a sense of where more speed enhancements may come from in future generations.

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

It is also possible to get process-enhancement driven performance increase without any physical design changes, such as geometry shrinks. When a vendor offers multiple speed-grades of the same part, as Xilinx do, all the parts are built the same and then sorted at test. As one gets better at making the parts it can be the case that enough are faster than the fastest part marketed to introduce a new faster version. This used to be a big thing a few years ago, but I suspect these days the variation is less because of tighter control over processes from the outset.

Reply to
David Spencer

Don't forget progress in characterization.

Often you do not know exactly how fast all the pathes in your design are over all operating conditions. IBM stated up to 30% deviation from SPICE simulation to measured chip in some cases at the ISPD2001 conference. This is especially true for SOI circuits were switching speed depends on the signal history.

Within the lifetime of a product the understanding of the device timing improves and tighter values can be published. Therefore you sometimes can sometimes improve the guaranteed performance of a design just by downloading a new speedfile.

Also: Depending on your design style software improvements in the design tools can have a positive effect on timing.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Howdy Sreeni,

BTW, not everything gets faster in newer generations. That may have been true through V2Pro, but when we took our pipelined 311 MHz design to V4 certain things did get slower - I believe one of the biggest was related to LUT-RAM's. Going from V4 to V5, we took another F-max hit, this time related to a huge (bad) change in timing for the mode that we are running the BRAM's in (the original design didn't have registered outputs, and it would be a big deal to change it), and surprisingly, routing. We have 3.1 ns to work with, and we have way too many routes that are 2.5 to 3.5 ns. Part of this could likely be fixed with improvement to the tools - one path I was inspecting last night looked like register duplication would fix it - yet the tools weren't inserting duplicate registers.

Lastly, also related to tools: they seem to do better if you don't give them a grossly over-large part to work with. Pick a part close to the size you need (in terms of LUTs).

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph