ISE under 64-bit Linux?

Just got an Athlon64 system. I want to be able to run the Xilinx ISE tool suite on this box under Linux. I'd also like to install a 64-bit Linux on it - are there any issues with running xst under 64-bit linux? I suspect there might be driver issues with downloading bitstreams, but I'm thinking of using one of the open source tools for downloading bitstreams.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

I'm running it on 64 bit FC4 on an X2 4400+, works fine. You need to put the following into your .cshrc

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.7

Reply to
Josh Rosen

-

XST works fine, but the ISE Simulator is not available in the 64-bit version, nor, as you suspected, are cable drivers for programming.

I'm hoping that they can get the 64-bit cable drivers into the next release (8.2i? 9.0i?). I looked into building them myself, but it's not feasible because even though the WinDriver demo kit supports 64-bit, Xilinx supplies their portion of the driver as a 32-bit object file.

If Xilinx would release docs on the driver API, I expect that an open source version would get developed quickly. I don't see what down side this would have for Xilinx; anything that makes it easier for people to develop using Xilinx parts should be a good thing.

Reply to
Eric Smith

-

That's fine. I use ghdl.

I seem to recall that there are some open source bitstream downloaders available for Linux... don't have any URL handy right at the moment, though.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

xc3sprog supports Spartan 3 parts:

There are several other programs which are derived from an earlier program called ljp:

JOLT:

xilinx-jtag:

Rudolf Usselmann's version of ljp:

Eric Smith