ISE purchase

I need to buy a license for ISE Foundation to support some VIIPro work I'm doing. Would it make any difference to the price if I went via a distributor here in the UK or just bought online via the Xilinx web site? Anyone have any comments?

TIA,

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

"Roger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ktimf.6307$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...

check out development board package deals, sometimes it makes sense to buy some dev board with bundled ISE (or EDK) as the board price will then be haevily reduced compared to board+ISE price if purchased separatly.

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

If you go the distributor they may offer a bundle with other items depending on your circumstances and project. If you are likely to want anything else then it may be the better path. Certainly should not be any more expensive than the website which tends to book pricing.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

In fact, sometimes you can find deals where ISE w/ a board costs less than just ISE.

If you need BaseX, just wait for the imminent release of WebPack 8.1i, which apparently will do everything BaseX did.

And if you need the full ISE, you can buy BaseX 7.1i now, and get an upgrade to full ISE 8.1i, for a combined total price less than the price of the full ISE alone. But if you want to do that, do it quickly before they stop offering BaseX 7.1i.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Thanks for the advice. Looking on the web site though, it looks like I'm already too late. There's no mention of BaseX anymore. They've gone down to just 2 versions, FREE and EXPENSIVE.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

Is that right? I recently purchased the ML403 dev board for $900 USD, which includes the Virtex4 FX12 dev board + BaseX + EDK...I was pleased with the purchase, but when I heard that they were stopping BaseX, I wasn't sure where that left me (I was guessing that the 8.1 WebPack was all that I would have access to wen 8.1 comes out). Is this true? I assue you're stating that I would have to pay the difference between BaseX, and the full ISE if I want to get to ISE 8.1 instead of just the WebPack.

Thanks for any clarification!

John

Reply to
john.orlando

Looks like they still have the PowerPC & MicroBlaze Development Kit for $895. That includes BaseX (regularly $695), an ML403 Virtex-4 FX development board (regularly $495), and either a Perallel Cable 4 (regularly $95) or Platform USB Cable (regularly $149).

So if you buy that, you should be able to get the ISE 8.1i full upgrade for an additional $1495. Total price of $2190, while the full ISE is normally $2495 and doesn't include a board or programming cable.

Note that I'm just a customer and don't have any inside information, so you'll have to research this yourself and decide if this plan will really work. I don't offer any guarantee. For instance, I don't have any way to know whether ordering the kit today will really get you BaseX (rather than Webpack 8.1i), and I don't know with certainty that it will qualify you for the reported $1495 upgrade price.

Also check the distributor sites (e.g., Avnet and Nu Horizons). They often have attractively priced bundles including BaseX or full ISE.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

ISE 8.1i hasn't officially been announced, so I don't know for sure. But a news report says that there will be a BaseX-7.1i-to-full upgrade available for $1495, with part number DX-ISE-BX2FND-71I:

I'm guessing that 8.1i will be officially announced next week.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Won't make a whole lot of difference in price; the distributor would handle VAT if appropriate, versus the shipper.

I'm all in favour of supporting the local guy. But getting a UK distributor to respond to a phone call in less than a week can be a challenge. If you manage that, and they quote you a lead time for Foundation in excess of six weeks, why not just go ahead and order online?

The worst that will happen is a phone call from the shipper, asking for VAT/import + £30 handling fee before they can release the goods.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

I realize this is a basic question, but I couldn't find a simple answer on the Xilinx site.

What is the difference between Foundation, Base X, and Webpack?

Does more $$$ mean more applications are included, or does more $$$ mean better applications are included?

Thanks! Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Craven

Generally the major difference is in the devices supported by the tool. Foundation supports all current devices. BaseX a smaller set and Webpack smaller again. Webpack has also got some of the power user tools like FPGA Editor removed. Comparision here

.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Very Low Cost Spartan-3 Development Board.

John Adair