ISE: Parallel Processing

Is there a way to have more than one computer work on compiling a design?

I think the answer is "no".

In that case. Is there a way to send off the compilation job to another machine?

I find myself writing embedded code (using an outside tool) or doing CAD/EDA work while waiting for ISE to complete. Of course, everything slows down to a crawl while ISE is working. It'd be nice to be able to use a different computer on the network to do the crunching (it'd be nicer to have more than one machine parallel process and do it faster!).

Any ideas, or am I thinking too far ahead?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

The Solaris version of par (Xilinx place and route tool) can do multiple iterations on multiple hosts (using the -m option to par).

I do this all the time. I have a server running Solaris or Linux where I have scripts running through synthesis, map/fit, place & route, static timing analysis, generating programming files, and even upload the new fpga image to the device under test in the lab.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petter Gustad

Hey, the Linux versionhas that too. I can use that to make an extra process on the local machine in order to put a dual processor to use?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stephen Williams

I'm glad to hear that this is supported in the Linux version. Unfortunately I haven't received mine yet.

The trick (at least on the Solaris version) is to write the same host name twice (or whatever number of procesesses you want to run) in the host file you pass to PaR, but with a different combination of upper and lower case letters:

zener zeneR

will then create two processes on the host zener.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petter Gustad

Interesting. I didn't think this worked yet. It's pretty easy to do this with scripts, so we did not schedule the feature for 6.1i. Let us know how you got it to work.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lass