ISE on a cluster?

Hi,

Is it possible to run Xilinx ISE on a cluster? In the office there are about 20 desktops, all networked & idle, and I'm waiting for the single one that is implementing an ISE design since half an hour now. It would be great to put those 20 desktops to work and get stuff done at

20x. I'm asking for the impossible, right? I wouldn't mind a linux solution.

Regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

You can spool off multiple place & route jobs across the cluster but one "long" place & route job will take what it takes on one computer. I use quotes because the half hour is tiny for some of the Xilinx designs out there. Extreme coordination is difficult to do in different rooms.

Reply to
John_H

John_H schrieb:

Some usefull links about linux clustering

I am in the process of building a cluster using the open source clustering application using some old sun workstations.

Reply to
jez-smith

I wonder what the probability of cluster ISE is.. ;) (Source & Specification = secret)

Anyway it's proberbly the feature considering that Intel aims for 80 core cpu in five years.

For now I think the best option is to use makefiles that utilize parallism where it's possible.

Reply to
pbdelete

Marc

As alternatives to a cluster:

A bit out of date but worth having a look at this TechiTip

You can effectively freeze modules by this approach and cut down rebuild times for the bits you are working on.

Also worth considering getting Core2 Duo machine. My inital benchmarks look very good on one I have here. Some way to help the solution I believe multi-processor support is coming too acording to previous posts.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Craignell. Spartan-3E in DIL format.

John Adair