ise (lin64) and debian

Hi,

i spend one week to figure out how this combination could work - with no success.

currently we install the rh ws 3.0 into a separate directory ; chroot to it and start the software, that works

I think something with the X libraries doens´t work with current amd 64 port of debian, ise produces a segmentation fault at startup.

does anyone have some ideas / suggestions?

regards, thomas

BTW: I know that Xilinx says:RH WS3.0 is the ONLY supported distribution. System is dual opteron (2600MHz), 8GB mem, SATA etc... I ´d like to use debian for a lot of reasons....

Reply to
T. Irmen

I've had some success at getting RH-only stuff running in Debian by using strace to watch what happens, then faking up the libraries using a bunch of symlinks. Very ugly, but with sufficient pain can be made to work.

Haven't tried it with ISE, but have done it with various other tools from several vendors.

And, as a fellow Debian user, I would agree with your choice. After running/administering a Debian box for a few years, going back to RH is just plain painful.

- Derek

Reply to
Derek Gladding

Hi!

In general (32bit), ISE, XPS and so on work out of the box under Debian. I've tested it with Sarge, testing and unstable.

There is no need for installing it under RedHat and later copying the files. Absolutely not.

Make sure to have libXm.so.3 installed (apt-get install libmotif3).

Debian comes with libcurl3, (iirc) the installation needs libcurl2. This is no problem, even without root privileges you can do:

$ mkdir /tmp/mylibs $ ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 /tmp/mylibs/libcurl.so.2 $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/mylibs/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ # run normal Xilinx setup routine

If you have Acrobat Reader 7.0 for Unix, then life is even easier, just do:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/lib $ # run normal Xiling setup routine

as acroread comes with libcurl.so.2. (the path to libcurl.so.2 on your acroread installation my vary)

I guess this little "trick" has to be done every time you install/upgrade the Xilinx tools.

(Note: for cable stuff, the following URL might be interesting:)

( Note: if you have root privileges you can get rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH by doing "ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2 && ldconfig".

(I recommend against this as you shouldn't interfear with the package management in /usr/lib, use /usr/local/lib/ instead (and add this path to /etc/ld.so.conf before running ldconfig))

In any way, the ABI of libcurl.so.3 may change in the future (Debian is changing the distribution compiler), so I suggest getting a real libcurl.so.2 instead (i.e.: use the one which comes with acroread7) )

I suggest that you try like running OpenOffice under amd64: use a debian-32bit-chroot (not a RedHat one), i.e. install ia32-libs, dchroot and so on. For detailed instructions, see "The Debian GNU/Linux AMD64 HOW-TO".

I agree. At least they don't check any RH-specific stuff at startup. If I were Xilinx, I would only support Debian as the most generic distribution (no proprietary quirks at all, FHS-compliant) and let other distributors adapt to it. I'd also remove all the cable-stuff from the installer as this is highly kernel-specific and I guess almost everyone not using RHWS3.0 has to compile the modules on his own.

And by the way: X-cut'n'paste doesn't work inside the XPS-editor, so I use an external one. Fonts for busnames are unreadable small in the Add/Edit-cores-dialog. I think there is still a lot to be done for seamless integration under Linux.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Die Lage war noch nie so ernst wie immer.
Reply to
Adrian Knoth