ISE 9.2 - how do I extract component/slice placements for locking down a design?

Is there any NGD reader which can extract placement information?

I know I can use FPGA editor and go through all the primitives, one by one, but this would be a mamoth task! Any ideas?

Reply to
Fred

Are you trying to floorplan or trying to figure out how PAR performed placement? If the former, PlanAhead is a very nice tool for floorplanning. -Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Fred,

ngd does not have placement information, I think you are referring to ncd. Beginning w/ ISE 10.1 PlanAhead is shipped with all versions of ISE, including the webpack (free) version. Prior to that PlanAhead was a separate optional tool, but evaluation licenses are readily available for the asking:

PlanAhead is a fairly straightforward tool to use. At a high level, to do what you are asking:

1) download and install planAhead 2) create a project by importing an edif/ngc netlist and optionally ucf constraints (and pick a target device if ngc). 3) File->Import Placement and browse to your placed and/or routed ncd file

This will import placement from an ncd file and convert them to LOC and BEL constraints.

At this point you have tons of options, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. You can go to File->Export Floorplan to write out all these loc/bels into a ucf file, but a huge file of locs is of limited use, for floorplanning, timing closure, ip reuse flows.

Take a look at the PlanAhead tutorial and methodology guides, as a starting point. More questions will doubtlessly follow...

'Greg

Reply to
SoyAnarchisto

Hi Greg, Kevin,

Many thanks for your reply. In essence I want to take a completed design, with critical timing constraints, and import it as an IP_Core into EDK where the added logic has very lax timing constraints.

I would like to take the component placement for the fitted critical part and lock these down. I want to use this new UCF file with all the placement information in EDK with a hope that timing may be achieved which it doesn't at present.

I will certainly look at Floorplanner to see how this can help.

Many thanks again.

Fred

Reply to
Fred