ISE 9.1i SP3 simulator problems on Linux

When trying to run the WebPack ISE 9.1i SP3 simulator on Linux (Gentoo, specifically), it always stops building the simulation executable with a message such as:

Building counter_tbw_isim_beh.exe

Nothing further happens. This reproducible on uni-core (Pentium M) as well as dual-core (Core 2 Duo) machines.

Any hints on how to resolve this are appreciated. For reference, this Gentoo version has both GCC 4.1.1 and 3.3.6 installed, the behavior does not change when switching between versions (via gcc-config).

Note that the rest of the ISE tools (map, par, xst etc.) work perfectly. Only the Project Navigator/simulator integration appears flaky.

Andreas Koch

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas Koch                     koch@esa.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt, FB20              Phone  : x49-6151-16-4378

Is it reproducible on "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"? That is the supported version.

If it is, you can file a webcase. If not, things get a lot harder.

If not, is there a test case you can post?

--
Phil Hays
Reply to

I know. But we don't have RHEL here. On the other hand, we never had any problems using ISE under Gentoo Linux before (ever since the WINEified initial Linux release)

Well, the error message above appears when doing the tutorial from the Quick Start Guide. But the behavior is perfectly reproducible: I cannot simulate any models from within the ProjectNavigator IDE.

Interestingly, the simulation executable (counter_tbw_isim_beh.exe in the example) _does_ get generated correctly: I can start it from the command line in interactive mode and then run the simulation manually. So, just the communication between the IDE and the simulation executable appears flawed.

Incidentally, the IDE also hangs when trying to quit it.

Andreas Koch

Reply to
Andreas Koch

The ISE 9.1iSP3 GUI application `ise' appears to be incompatible with glibc-2.5. But when running it chrooted in a glibc-2.4 environment, it works perfectly (I used a Gentoo 2006.1 stage3 for these experiments, which contains a glibc-2.4 based system, instead of the glibc-2.5 used by current Gentoo systems).

I hope that someone else profits from a week of experimentation ;-)

Andreas Koch

Reply to
Andreas Koch